Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Good Upgrade

Anonymous
Not applicable
Teamwork 2 - I'm a one man shop but know people I trust to hire on a job by job basis that I can manage from my office- Great
Oriented Views - good
Annotated Schedule Drawings - good!
Improved Object Handling - good
Intelligent “Soft” Insulation - good
DWG Enhancements - good
Data Exchange with Engineers - good
Improvements for Slabs/Roofs - Great!!!
Improved Curtain Wall Editing - Great!!
64-bit Support for Windows - Looking forward to mac 64 bit

Also looking forward to more improvements due to database restructuring. All in all looks like a good upgrade for me.
21 REPLIES 21
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
outpostarc wrote:

This one is fab!!! I've been longing for this since I first started using ArchiCAD. It's a very smart implementation of semi-automatic (I don't really know the English word if there is any but automatic with manual flexibility!?)...in my mind a typically clever GS thing!
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Rakela Raul
Participant
before you 'good' it.....make sure it is not a 'two version' (or 3) implementation
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
outpostarc wrote:

This one is fab!!! I've been longing for this since I first started using ArchiCAD. It's a very smart implementation of semi-automatic (I don't really know the English word if there is any but automatic with manual flexibility!?)...in my mind a typically clever GS thing!

Amen. I am also very interested in the new roof/slab edge controls. I've been wanting that one for a very long time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:
before you 'good' it.....make sure it is not a 'two version' (or 3) implementation
True. As I haven't used ver.13 yet. I hope these items are implemented well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For now... Two words cross my mind... Strategic and Fair...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Mine too. Rip off!

Nothing a small office can use.

Teamwork 2 - Never did use it, never will
Oriented Views - I can leave without them. Last on the list. 10 minutes for a programmer
Annotated Schedule Drawings - indiferent
Improved Object Handling - good
Intelligent “Soft” Insulation - good
DWG Enhancements - indifferent (and probably useless)
Data Exchange with Engineers - yeah... LOL
Improvements for Slabs/Roofs - good
Improved Curtain Wall Editing - left over from previous version
64-bit Support for Windows - Of no use, since to use it i must do a 50 store building or a big town. Just for big fish

For a big office this release is SUPER. For everyone else, its CRAP. Personally i feel they have stole money from me. The previous subscription AND the current one (that i had to renew till yesterday!! suprise!!!! before i could see this incredible piece of useless crap.

If you look at it in effort in computing 99% went to tw2 and 64 bit and 1% (and i say much) in the other part. Hey GS... we paid to. If big offices want that, give it to them but let THEM pay for it. ONLY THEM. Why should i pay for something i will never use and as a whole upgrade. So all the money you got went there?

What is the official GS opinion about that? A whole years subscription for NOTHING? Not even the mediocre last years upgrade? Compared to this years release, last years looks like a super upgrade and it was just 2 big features and very few smaller ones. But this!!!

I want my money back. This is not an upgrade.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
Braza wrote:
I want my money back. This is not an upgrade.

OK, so you grade the new features, but you fail to mention any must-haves that GS forgot about. Does that mean you're happy with AC 12? I'm curious about the features that the 'small fish' needed but haven't received. Are there any stand-outs? Personally, I'm glad to see GS doing a good job at staying competitive in the BIM world. They seem to have a good business model and understand that if they can't offer a competitive product to Revit, they won't have a future.

It's possible that GS realizes that small residential practices can get a lot of mileage from other builder specific packages like Chief Architect.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos, I can't agree with you on your big fish item.

As a one man office I don't have the turnover to hire people on a daily basis. I handle some bigger projects as well with remote people on a job by job basis. It's all about send-receive-email-...over and over again. I really think this new Teamwork technology, from what I've read, can make my job a lot easier!
On the other hand, AC13 improvements I would rather call average then good or great. Beneficial at most but not my cup of tea.

I fully agree with Braza : this is a strategic upgrade !
I have not read about any improvement at all in generating a useful bill of material. Perhaps it does have some improvements in this area they haven't mentioned. ?

Other than that, I think it is worth my subscription fee.

The collaboration features were a valid priority.

As always though, I hope the next version will be all about processing the BI. Being able to create the M is only going 1/2 way.

What good is it to create the BIM if you can't get the BI out of it and into useful formats ? This remains a week link for ArchiCAD and for every other so called BIM software. They can all make the model but what can they do with it besides make plans?

Also as always, I blame the lack of progress in this area on preserving the viability of Constructor and ArchiFM.

just thought I would throw that out there since you all like to hear me gripe about that.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25