BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Snap to interior lines of wall???!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
All I'm trying to do is dimension to rough framing on a wall. WHY CAN'T I SNAP TO THE INSIDE OF DRYWALL?! the only snaps I have available are to outside most lines of the wall and my reference line. WHY

I am so frustrated with AC right now. I'm finally starting to get faster and then this stupid problem stops me... still don't like 2D drafting, my file is really clunky with a DWG xrefed into it, not sure why... Just selecting elements seems to be slow and requiring too much concentration. I'm not interested in binding the x ref though I want the layers separated.
Offsetting? not as easy as it should be. Anyone??
10 REPLIES 10
Rod Jurich
Contributor
cesarzlu wrote:
/.... WHY CAN'T I SNAP TO THE INSIDE OF DRYWALL?!/.......
cesarzlu, see attached.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Erika Epstein
Booster
cesarzlu wrote:
I am so frustrated with AC right now. my file is really clunky with a DWG xrefed into it, not sure why... Just selecting elements seems to be slow and requiring too much concentration. I'm not interested in binding the x ref though I want the layers separated.
Offsetting? not as easy as it should be. Anyone??
What do you need the layers of the xref for? While you can attach x-refs, the best working method is to place the DWG as an external drawing either into a worksheet or a layout and then you can show this as a trace reference when needed.
File>External content>Place External> Place external content
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erika and Rod.

I played around with the core components of my composite walls and I used the dimension only to core check box and I am still stumped. It doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure what the problem is because I did not know about the dimension only to core thing and it seems like it should solve my problem with snapping dimension lines to the inside lines of composites... weird.

The X-ref is a survey and I need it for my grading plan and permit. If i use the method you suggest Erika, will I be able to show the xref on a print? Will the layers be separated out or all integrated like if I was to bind the xref or place and external pln?
Erika Epstein
Booster
cesarzlu wrote:
Will the layers be separated out or all integrated like if I was to bind the xref or place and external pln?
The beauty of placing it as an external drawing is that it will NOT bring in layers or any other attributes (lines, fills, etc.).
If you want to print, you can place the drawing directly onto a layout sheet. It can use its own title block (use a blank master) or use your own title block.

You can show as trace layout as well as a view.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again Erika. you are ever so helpful
bgoodale
Booster
when i go to the cmposties settings, i can't find the dimension options, what's up? so frustrating....
AC 25
WINDOWS 10
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.4 GHZ
128 GB RAM
64 Bit Operating System x64 based processor
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Erika Epstein
Booster
Are you looking for the 'core only' setting? That's under the dimension settings.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am still not able to get snaps to work when I:
-Hover over interior lines of Composite walls
-Try to dimension to interior Lines to Composite anywhere but from corners.

I can only get snaps to works on the wall reference lines, or the outside most lines (usually these are either face of facade or interior trim lines which nobody ever dimensions to...

It's okay that I can dimension to interior lines (i.e. rough framing) of walls at corners, but I'd still like to be able to snap/dimension to interior lines of composite walls anywhere along the wall. I have played with the core/finish settings in the composite settings window, and the "dimension only to core components" checkbox in the dimension settings window with no luck. I'm not sure what the deal is but this seems very basic to me...
Erika Epstein
Booster
You have to snap to a node i.e. someplace you where you get a checkmark cursor for a 'live' dimension. You can adjust the length of each witness line separately.
-do not have the dimension string selected
-select just the point whose witness line you want to adjust and with your cursor adjust the length of the witness line

I am not sure if I am understanding what you are having trouble with. If this is not what you were after, post a screenshot.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Learn and get certified!