Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrading to ArchiCAD V13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my support subscription invoice has just arrived so with the current state of the economy I had to check, Is the upgrade to version 13 worth me having.

I checked with my reseller who said the only thing he can tell me is that ArchiCAD 13 will have better team work. That would be fine if I was a large practice, but I am not. So for now ArchiCAD 12 will do just fine and I can save the money.

Unless there is a significant improvement in the tools why bother?
111 REPLIES 111
Anonymous
Not applicable
owen wrote:

We (OS X users) have paid the same amount as Windows users, yet we get an inferior product. Where the f*** is the OS X 64Bit version, or do you plan on giving us a refund???

I really do not give a <b>[censored]</b> about GS dev resourcing issues .. no 64Bit Mac version is just pathetic. This has been coming for years on both platforms. Other Mac developers have managed to get on the boat, so what the f*** have you been doing?
Please, be patient, nothing happen. Today, Apple closed support for old, PPC oriented Carbon API library and not relized 64-bit version of Carbon. Next-gen API called Cocoa have totally 64-bit support and fully suppots by Apple only in Snow Leopard, so this recuried some time to rewrite millions strings of code. Same situation today have Adobe, they coud`t release own CS4 line in 64-bit, so promise, that happens in next release called CS5. So GS as not big company requrie time to translate ArchiCAD onto 64-bit rails.
Cheers 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
how many of you use more than 4GB memory for one project... I mean honestly.
As i said no normal user would benefit from 64 bits.

I really want an answer from GS. It took my money too and delivered a product that is relevant only for large firms. I dont blame the strategic move. But if they feel that way, they should refund all users that will not use their TW2. Since its a server based feature, they can block it 2 those that have not paid for it. So keep the money for AC14, and wait for that release. But paying a years subscription for simply no function ???

Lets see if someone of GS tells us anything (i doubt it)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
I would like to remind all that Apple's sudden decision to axe Carbon one year ago was a bit shocker for all developers (even companies like Adobe had to postpone its suite). GS (and in fact most of developers) were using Carbon for back-compatibility reasons mainly. .....

so I am not surprised.
I am. Even shocked or dismayed would be more appropriate. The majority of Macs sold since 2003 were 64 bit multi-core processors and OS X.4.6+ supported PPC, PPC64, i386 and i86_64. GS should have started moving to Cocoa as soon as they converted from 9 to OS X. Backwards compatibility and ArchiCAD are a whole other topic of concern that has been addressed by this forum repeatedly. It gave me a good laugh but if I had subscribed to the upgrade or had upgraded my reaction would be quite different. Their Intel only package should have nothing really to do with Carbon. Since the introduction of OS X Carbon was slated for the scrap heap. Apple's only intention for developing it was to facilitate an easy transition from it's older OS and other platform to OS X. It is also only 32 bit. It should have been no surprise to GS or Adobe. The only Mac systems that won't benefit are those that can only hold 4 GB's like the second generation MBP's and iMacs. It appears that owners of the first generation Mac Pro would also have a legitimate gripe as I haven't seen where they will be able to use the 64 bit kext either unless it is only a matter of a firmware upgrade. The original MBP was nothing more than an over-glorified G4 and the only Intel Mac that would not experience anything other than a performance hit as the OS breaks up the processes.

It is a shame that those who invested in the G5's never really got the ability to experience it's true potential.
Karl wrote:
Ditto. Totally false, Clarence. The only contractual obligation of beta testers, and others who saw 13 early because of a non-disclosure, is to keep all information in confidence until Graphisoft announces the product. At that point, they / we can talk freely about anything covered in the announcement, but nothing further. Once the product ships, we can talk about any aspect of it, in any negative or positive way as we perceive it.
Rick wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
a) Beta-Testers, kinda contractually obligated to claim its a great release even when it may not seem so to the neutral observer.
No, not accurate. You might find that beta testers might have a more realistic perception of the real world issues involved, which can effect some comments.. (due to hearing some GS comments). And, it is a great release.. IMHO, for a large majority of users, I am not one of them (ie: one person office, based on housing, which is dead right now). I never bit the subscription hook though, so I don't have that issue, which is understandable to me.

Sometimes assumptions can be misleading

........hence the reason I said "kinda" contractually obligated. Perhaps the 'contractual' part of my statement was a poor word choice seeing as the contract signed (NDA) presumptively only covers disclosure and not opinion. However, I still believe the implied obligation still exists - even if unwritten. I may be wrong but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the selection process of beta-testers has a certain level or degree of subjectivity and is not entirely based on how interested and available one is to test their product, and that their (the potential testers) past posted assessments of GS products in public fora like this one, probably play a role in that selection process. At the end of the day, the comments made on this forum still play a role int he marketing process of ArchiCAD whether or not you may want to admit it (as one can clearly observe from those taglines being used right this very moment, in the ArchiCAD 13 product release page, which were lifted from these very boards).

So that being the case, why would GS want someone beta-testing their product who is only going to potentially toperdo their marketing efforts once the product is released and once the NDA embargo is passed, - with a vitriolic and harsh assessment of the product's shortcomings long before other users have had the chance to test it?

Hence the reason I said that this 'expectation' of positive, if not glowing, reviews exists - even if as an unwritten hard and fast rule written onto any contract anywhere. You scratch our back we scratch yours. Especially if one wishes to keep beta-testing in the future.

There are obviously certain individuals on this board who could never in a million years get selected for beta-testing - we all know this. And that's okay, it's all part and parcel in the marketing game and GS are allowed to market their product as they please - and through whomever they please. I certainly don't begrudge them that right.

I'm just saying, it's sort of unreasonable to expect a completely objective and critical assessment from someone or anyone who was as close to the development process (and wishes to remain so for future iterations) just as it would be to expect the same from someone with vested interests in the products financial success, - such as a reseller - as was pointed out.
stefan
Expert
Bricklyne wrote:
a) Beta-Testers, kinda contractually obligated to claim its a great release even when it may not seem so to the neutral observer.
Apply with your reseller for beta-tester for next round. They can inform you.

I'm not breaking any NDA by saying that the beta-testers are extremely critical, usually positive, sometimes negative, against GS. They can and they are being listened to.

But the major decisions about the new features are made well before the beta-testing period. TW2 is a major feature, which I don't need and will not use. And I have negative feelings about the other features, not because they are rubbish (they are usually quite smart, albeit a bit rough in their first release), but because older gripes are still left as-is in many cases.

In my case, I lacked time to fulfill the tests this time, so I will probably stay at AC12 for a while. I might use the EDU version of AC13 in my classes, depending on which version students will receive.

I would seriously not step into subscription if you have this feeling towards the new releases. Just wait till a version comes along you like and upgrade at that time.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Thomas Holm
Booster
Bricklyne wrote:
...a) Beta-Testers, kinda contractually obligated to claim its a great release even when it may not seem so to the neutral observer. ...
Bricklyne, I've gotten used to craploads of bullsh*t from you, but this takes the price - you're so sky-high with your made-up "facts" and your long self-promoting rants, I wonder why anyone listens anymore. Reality is, the most serious and heavy critique of Graphisoft often comes from current and previous betatesters. The only obligation they sign is to keep shut about non-released products!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Thomas wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
...a) Beta-Testers, kinda contractually obligated to claim its a great release even when it may not seem so to the neutral observer. ...
Bricklyne, I've gotten used to craploads of bullsh*t from you, but this takes the price - you're so sky-high with your made-up "facts" and your long self-promoting rants, I wonder why anyone listens anymore. Reality is, the most serious and heavy critique of Graphisoft often comes from current and previous betatesters. The only obligation they sign is to keep shut about non-released products!
Whatever, Thomas.

Did you remember to take your meds today?

Nobody forced or forces you to read or respond to my posts. As far as we know.
There's a medical term for people who feel compelled to do things that they claim to otherwise repulse them. Do you know what it is?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Big fish or small fish... it dosnt matter...i m still not able to model in archicad....(even if they put 128 bit)
All wishes that we wrote are not fullfield, and all new stuff in ac13 is something that all we can live without...I just wish to know the name of a man who is in charge of developing team of GS...That man should jump from 13 floor or just quit his job in GS.

Archicad 13 SUX
with all people involved in this update (but this is not update, its more like hotfix)

archicad 13 - nothing happend version,
wishes.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
Big fish or small fish... it dosnt matter...i m still not able to model in archicad....(even if they put 128 bit)
All wishes that we wrote are not fullfield, and all new stuff in ac13 is something that all we can live without...I just wish to know the name of a man who is in charge of developing team of GS...That man should jump from 13 floor or just quit his job in GS.

Archicad 13 SUX
with all people involved in this update (but this is not update, its more like hotfix)

archicad 13 - nothing happend version,
LOL!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well... I guess now "Small Fish" have no excuse to don't grow.

Again... It's a strategic release... not only for GS... but also for all AC users... Think about the opportunities on the horizon.

It is a fair release... once "You always have to break the eggs to bake a cake", right?

And to some of you folks... lets not underestimate the huge effort behind TW2... its not fair.