BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I wish Graphisoft didn't surcharge resale buyers over $2000.

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
So I have two keys and as it turns out, the economy stinks and I need to sell one of my "assets" to make ends meet. I figure that with the investment made in ArchiCAD over the past 10+ years (and 10 before that with other companies money) that there would be some equity in it.

So following proper procedure, I contact my reseller to find out how to go about selling (I've done it before, so I knew there were some hoops to jump thru). It is here I find out that after I sell my ArchiCAD Key to a 3rd party, THEY will HAVE TO PAY over $2000.00 to register the key in their name!

Ok... so I flipped my lid... and shot back an angry email... but the only response I got... "Well, try reselling AutoCAD" ...

Yes, I am still miffed. I just wonder how many people out there actually know about this policy. The policy has changed over the past 20 years. I am curious about when and how I actually AGREED to this policy. But, like everyone else here, I gloss of the EULA's. Apparently this policy changed around April this year. I am not clear how a company can sell me a product (asset) and then continue, after the fact, to create policy that removes all equity from it.

And the real questions is WHY? "How could it possibly cost $2000.00 to change a name and address in a database? To be fair (someone has to) $600 of it is a FORCED enrollment in the ArchiPLUS program. So at least the buyer will get the next upgrade (if it happens within a year).

Sorry for venting. I love ArchiCAD. I like the people that work there. I like my reseller. I just think this policy is WRONG. So on my tombstone will hang 2 ArchiCAD 12 keys (can't afford to upgrade any longer with this policy in place).
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
100 REPLIES 100
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Dennis wrote:
Ah the high cost of EVERYTHING in the US...
What is more expensive in the US except from health care? For me all hardware (all the fun things) are much cheaper in the US. I can sponsor a roundtrip to US with hotel just by buying a MacbookPro or a travel bag full of Levis Jeans. Not to mention the fun things in life... guitars, mountain bike, camera, kite- and surfstuff, cars....and on top of that you have much higher salaries and less taxes (I'm not to updated but this was the case when I looked the last time)...must be housing in attractive areas that's more expensive!?
I must be totally unaware of the situation in the US!?
/Swede power
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Apparently this is why I couldn't give an AC 9 license away. During the 6 - 6.5 release the transfer fee was $75.00. The new requirements are ridiculous. Now with the release of 13, in essence, I'd have to pay someone to take it.
ares997
Contributor
Yeah it isn't cheap to wait for 10 years to upgrade your key....You will buy a mac book pro for 2500 but it's too much to ask to support the software company that has always been good to you (except maybe one release I won't mention), even when they were flustered with problems I know they worked hard and fixed them. But you can't spend some extra dough for the key.

Car washes are totally an option. Only a month or two of them and your be in good shape. I hear begging for change is a good way to make a little side income.

Software has always and always will be the expensive part of what we do. We can't get away from it.

But we make a ton of money when it's time, because we have the tools that allow us to do things nothing else can do, faster, better, and without errors.
Archicad 25 (5005), Windows 11, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
ares997 wrote:
Yeah it isn't cheap to wait for 10 years to upgrade your key....You will buy a mac book pro for 2500 but it's too much to ask to support the software company that has always been good to you (except maybe one release I won't mention), even when they were flustered with problems I know they worked hard and fixed them. But you can't spend some extra dough for the key.

Car washes are totally an option. Only a month or two of them and your be in good shape. I hear begging for change is a good way to make a little side income.

Software has always and always will be the expensive part of what we do. We can't get away from it.

But we make a ton of money when it's time, because we have the tools that allow us to do things nothing else can do, faster, better, and without errors.
Considering that AC 9 was released in Oct. 04 and AC 10 was released mid 2006 you're off by a few years and the original authors SW is only outdated by a couple of days.

I no longer use AC and as I indicated have actually tried to give it away with no takers. When I was told it didn't save them any money I took it as an excuse because it isn't widely used and they simply didn't want the SW. I didn't investigate much further as I have no intention of upgrading and had already wasted too much time of my local reseller when some were considering purchasing.

I don't need to beg for change and I didn't vote for it either. Good luck with that. I accepted the MBP as final payment for a project that I had done for some people who thought they could beg me to forget what they owed me because they had squandered all the money they begged the government for on frivolous unrelated items for themselves. To this day regret having done so as it was less than half of what they owed me and I ended up not being able to do much with it until Apple finally replaced the computer because it was plagued with problems. I also ended wasting more money upgrading Apple's own software that I did still use only to find it wouldn't do what it was supposed to. I ended up redoing some non AC projects from scratch on a considerably slower G4 with X.3.7 because I discovered that the issues I was having were directly related the incorporation of NeXT into the graphics side of the OS. I can at least sell the computer and software to someone's benefit who may not be able to purchase it new.

There is no way the sale of the AC license can "re-coupe" the investment made especially for those of us who paid upwards of $5000.00 for 4.5 and continued to upgrade with each new release but it would be nice to be able to help someone, like a few on this forum, who are students or new in the practice and do not have the funds to purchase the program and therefore lack the proper tools to be competitive and be able to "make a ton of money when it's time".

A few offices that I thought would take it in a heartbeat no longer even use it and have switched to Chief Architect and other solutions as it has been to difficult to find people who can actually get their presentations and documents out without appearing that they are going backwards as many that do use it still use it as a 2D drafting tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys,

And what about the fact that you can't get an old version of Archicad from a reseller?

I know that Graphisoft is trying to push the latest version of their product, but that carries a hefty price. Especially in this economy.

So instead of promoting the good name of Graphisoft and let you buy an older version to get acquainted with the product, they let the customer go and try to get a different software for a price he can afford.

I'm not saying they should sell every old version of the software but at least two versions down.

Let say that someone could buy Archicad 11, and get comfortable with the softwre but just pay half or third the price that the current version cost. If the customer is happy, next time he maybe able to buy the latest and greatest.

In that case Graphisoft is still doing money intead of thorwing all that away.

Anyway, what they do with all those dongles and disks they are not using, is Graphisoft recycling them or reprograming the dongles to be used in a new version? For me it's just a waste of money and bad business sense for the client.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that's GS' global goal of the ArchiCAD STARTEDITION... Less than half the price of a full licence.
March_ Bruce
Booster
As I recall in the early days there were no or minimal (often waived) transfer fees & upgrades ran between 10-20% of the license value (depending on the cycle length) to the current version from any old version.

It was far easier to ramp up & down according to workflow demand & keys could be kept idle or sold as depreciation was minimal.

This would seem to serve the needs of the design professionals better & I would urge Graphisoft to reconsider the new policy - to serve the needs of their existing customers.

While I can understand the need for some administrative fee on transfer along with some kind of support fee for a new user needing much help I might suggest that allowing license flexibility might be one of the real selling points differentiating AC from Revit & other competitors - something recent policy may have all but eliminated...
Anonymous
Not applicable
In general I'm happy with the software, but agree license selling should not be a "burden".
Temporary gain, long term pain?
lec
do you spell warez with one z or two?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Steve wrote:
do you spell warez with one z or two?
I think it's spelt 'malware'.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions