BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Free the Libraries! No more version control of library.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Free the libraries!

I'd like to post a wish that the Libraries not be tied to a version number. I want libraries to be version blind, one library for all versions!

For example, many companies have spent time and money to create an AC-6,7, 8, 9,10, or 11catalog, but they sure aren't going to spend the resources to keep doing that every single year! Therefor there are quite a number of orphan catalogs out there that simply aren't going to evolve due to the unending problem of version incompatibility.

Plus I am annoyed that the prime limiting factor in being able to continue to work on a project from one version to another is that library parts just don't have a seamless transition path. I mean a "Look Ma!- No hands!", universality of use in any version.

I frequently don't start a new project in the latest version for at least 6 months after release because of the inability to cleanly migrate my current projects, ALL due to the library insanity.

Why can't this Library situation be fixed? Imagine the sound of nails scratching on a blackboard!
21 REPLIES 21
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
sityu wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Why would you want to use an AC13 library part with an older version of ArchiCAD?
Because if you are working in ac13, and should collaborate with colleagues who doesn't.
I would strongly urge anyone not to do this - it's a sure recipe for lots of work and problems. If you want to collaborate, and by this I mean something more than a one-off exchange, you should both use the same version of AC.

But even if you did, why would an AC12 user want to use an AC13 part if they already have a native AC12 version? For example, if you have an object called My Object.gsm in AC12 and an updated version called My Object.gsm in AC13, why not simply use the AC12 My Object.gsm in AC12, and the AC13 My Object.gsm in AC13?

For virtually all users, however, it would be vastly easier to migrate projects forward if objects simply retained the same names (without appending a version number). There are no significant technical obstacles to this approach either.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The biggest question for me in this multi-version Library approach is how do write the earlier version of a Library Part where the Library Part utilizes a feature that is available only in the latest version.

Two examples:
SkyObject and SunObject appeared in AC10. How do you write this in AC9 so that it works the same way as in AC12?

A Library Part is using a REQUEST function and then is displayed accordingly. Earlier versions of ArchiCAD do not have that REQUEST function. So all code that is based on that REQUEST function simply cannot be implemented in the earlier versions of the Library Part.

So I am thinking about these kinds of scenarios and do not know if there is any solution to that.

Guys, don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea, I just don't know whether and how it could work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
laszlonagy wrote:
Two examples:
SkyObject and SunObject appeared in AC10. How do you write this in AC9 so that it works the same way as in AC12?
I think what everyone wants is a smooth transition forward, i.e. from old versions of ArchiCAD to new ones. This can become messy when every library part appears to be different because the name has the version number appended, especially if a project is active across multiple versions of ArchiCAD.

Conversely, I can't think why anyone would want to take a project back from AC12 to AC9. And even if you did, wouldn't it be much easier if the AC9 parts had the same name and automatically slotted in where required? They may not do exactly the same thing, but you have to expect loss of functionality if you really want to drag projects back into old versions. The same would be true of any SEOs used.

Perhaps I'm missing something (it wouldn't be the first time ). Can you explain why old objects should provide the same level of functionality as new ones just because they have the same name? Under what circumstances would that matter?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ralph wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something (it wouldn't be the first time ). Can you explain why old objects should provide the same level of functionality as new ones just because they have the same name? Under what circumstances would that matter?
Perhaps I am missing something.
Or actually I assumed something which was not actual.

When I read the starting post of the thread I assumed that the main thing or wish about version-free libraries would be to be able to work in AC 13 for example, then save it as AC12 for a colleague who does not have AC13 and he be able to use the AC13 (or perhaps version free) library objects in AC12 without feature loss. I mean, for example, the object in AC12 should look and act and display like in AC 13 because maybe they will save PDFs for the client, not the guy with AC13. Or whatever.
All my comments were related to that scenario.

But as I re-read the thread, this is just a little part of the whole picture. So all my earlier comments should be taken with that modifier.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lazlo,

I should have worded the original wish more carefully, as in:

"The latest version of ArchiCad should be able to read any earlier
library part and GDL object without the use of conversion tools".
I wish for legacy compatibility not future compatibility.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mark
Rick Thompson
Expert
This is a huge issue for me. I don't do plans that get built, and then move on to a new plan never to go back. I evolve the same plans over years, and years. Smartparts Libraries (as an example) seems to be able to make his libraries evolve. I am still using the same windows and doors I have for years, but they are updated and still work without having to replace the placed object. It has not always been smooth, but never the less, it is working. I started using AC's cabinets (now I consider it a mistake). A buggy cabinet, and there have been quite a few, are not simply fixed, but replaced with the newest version. It's absurd to add lines to make a cabinet read right in elevation. Yes, 13 fixes some of these problems, but that doesn't help all by 12 parts. You have to carry forward many versions of the cabinets and macros or replace the placed object. This is #$%@ ridiculous.

My issue has nothing to do with back saving, but library clutterosity. How many versions of a cabinet do I need to keep in my active library because I open plans that might not have been opened for a few years? Why can't the part be fixed and still work on an AC10 pln, or AC11 pln, AC12 pln etc.

My worry with small independent libraries is that persons continued support and development. We do get old. AC's system is very problematic for me.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick,

By not requesting future compatibility I'm not asking for AC-12 to read AC-13 libraries. Although other programs manage just exactly that trick. Rather I NEED AC-13 to be able to read AC12 libraries.

My vendor has indicated that libraries have now been consolidated into one universal file instead of the previous one library per country or region scheme. Let us hope that those hours spent on various libraries will now be spent on making final and correct library parts.

I agree, a cabinet is a cabinet, why have different versions every time a new AC comes out. Or as you say why ever update a cabinet. Well, of course, when we have inter dimensional control of space you may want to add infinite closet interiors as a new feature.

Mark
Still waiting for the 13 box..........
Rick Thompson
Expert
Maybe I'm wrong, but the libraries are still regional specific. The main difference is embedding objects that are created for that pln. (like a stair). But, they are regional specific.. still a US version.

I'm not concern with back reading or back saving. I just want parts that are buggy to be fixed in back versions, or better yet, figure out a better way than renaming the same object each version. I don't want "MyAClibrary" having 5 folders of cabinets to go through when the only difference is a bug fix. If it is a unique part, then a new name is appropriate like your great close idea:) Now, how many DW's do I need????? I need exactly one. They tweak the parts, which is great, but a new name *^$%.... If you need to send you library to someone working on a project for you,. or TW, the libraries are way bigger than they need to be IF objects kept the same name.. like SmartParts.

Thanks for the attention to this complex issue.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick,

Fixing the library parts themselves is my pet peeve! Not really on topic here, but just for fun:

Basic items such as doors and windows have features(parameters) one can see onscreen but are grayed out (unusable without GDL editing etc). Or, to pick another example, why is the default jamb fill type plywood in 12 but empty in 10? That sort of nonsense defies the imagination.

This wouldn't be such a big deal, but it is repeated in countless ways throughout the library. These tiny things have to be remembered and fixed repeatedly, and that turns the small problems into a big deal. You have to carefully proof read the library part in each new version to make sure you are getting what you think you should. And,... Stairs? I'd turn purple to even go there.

In case you've started to wonder, I do like AC, and "I'd rather fight than switch". But I'd rather GS do the coding.

Mark
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

I'm sorry, I joined the discussion this late. I monitor only the 'Libraries / Library Parts / GDL' section (OK, I try to...).
I have a few comments here.

First, all old library parts can be loaded and used in AC13 (I guess from AC5.0 or so). On top of that they should work just as they did earlier. Naturally, there can be some bugs but we correct them as possible to serve this compatibility goal. (Yes, I know we broke this full compatibility principle on purpose with the UI around AC11. This was a consequence of OS changes.)

Second, backward compatibility is a tough issue. There is no obvious way to accomplish that. (1) Hotfixing old AC-versions to run the newest GDL is a no-go as GDL is in a strong connection with the model generator context. (2) Omitting extra parameters (providing they are coming from a newer version of GDL) would corrupt error detection and usually new parameters aren't and cannot be added at the end. (3) Omitting unknown commands is against the concept of macro calls in GDL.

In general, I agree with Ralph: there should be an easy way migrating forward and this could be a basis for all relevant cooperation.

Side note #1: Library part replacement doesn't consider names from AC12 on - it is based on internal IDs.

Side note #2: A little step toward multi-version libraries was made in AC13. On one hand, saving a v13 project containing an embedded library _is_ converting v13 library parts back to v12 ones. On the other hand, AC has to tell its version to the library parts. 'ac_programVersion' fix named optional parameter was introduced for this.

I wasn't able to give solutions and big good news... I can confirm though that migration is a high priority issue for ArchiCAD development. I hope you'll see some improvement even for v14. Thank you for the feedback - there will be some serious thinking about it at GS HQ.

Regs,
Zsolt
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Learn and get certified!