Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Transparency in elevations

Arcadia
Booster
I know how to turn transparency on and off in elevations but can I turn transparency on for a framed glass balustrade and off for the windows? I don't want to be able to see inside the house but I want to be able to see the windows etc beyond the balustrade. I can't use the layer specific wireframe display option because then the balustrade framing doesn't show correctly. Cheers.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
3 REPLIES 3
Ingolf
Advocate
Hello Arcadia!

One way to solve your problem as I have understood it, is to avoid the Transparancy in Shading option and focus on the materials in your windows. As you can see under, I have made a ballustrade (or a glass raling) on the veranda/terrace on Grethes House. The ballustrade is made by the Wall tool with Glass as material.

Then I go to the Window tool and click Ctrl+A (for Mac probably Apple + A...) to select all windows. Then press Ctrl+T (Mac: Click on the Window icon... I think) to see the dialouge box. Change the material of the window from glass to something not transparent.

(Sorry for some of the language to be in Norwegian...):oops:

Then you will see through the ballustrade, but not the windows.

Good luck, Arcadia!

(Free stuff from my books on Real World ArchiCAD Solutions)
2009-09-03 Transparency and materials.jpg
Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
PC/i7/W11/ArchiCAD 6.5-27
Arcadia
Booster
Thats a good idea - I will just have to remember to change the window glazing back to glass before I run the VBE export. Thanks.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think another solution mentioned earlier on the Talk was to place those elements you want to see transparent in Elevation on a Layer set to Wire-frame mode.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27