Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Computational Fluid Dynamics

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Does anyone know of any worthwhile fluid dynamics programs for architects? Ideally one that can produce graphical representatives of data. I am looking to study the air flow on my designs to a specific degree and having trouble finding something accessible, especially where integration with know architectural software is concerned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I too am interested in this question. I honestly haven't done much searching, but have wondered what tools might be out there.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think EcoTect offers some form of this (or so I've heard). ArchiPhysik may also have some tools for this, though I haven't heard from/about them in some time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So far, in my explorations I have found 2 possible candidates that could produce the kind of output that I'm looking for. The first is called Star-CCM+ and the second is XFlow (Produced by NextLimit, makers of Maxwell Render). As far as I can tell, XFlow is not yet obtainable though. But it looks very promising.

On a side note, Hevacomp by Bentley has some interesting tools for air flow but seems to be aimed more at internal ducting etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:
Does anyone know of any worthwhile fluid dynamics programs for architects? [...]
You might Google "contam2" +software +air. I do not know whether CFD is used, but perhaps it's not the method so much as the result you're looking for.
-DT
Anonymous
Not applicable
You may find NISTIR 6967 "LoopDA - Natural Ventilation Design and Analysis Software," by W. Stuart Dols & Steven J. Emmerich of particular visual interest.
Design Builder is one I've heard very good things about lately.

http://www.designbuilder.co.uk/

Another is TAS

http://www.edsl.net/main/
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1