BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curve Roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I was just wondering if someone would be able to direct me to the right path.

I have a museum I'm designing and I would like the roofs not only to go from point a to point b with a gradual increase in their rise, but I would like to curve them with their sides.

I hope this attachment will help in knowing my issue more accurately.

Thanks for any help.

Herning-Museum-of-Contemporary-Art_Steven-Holl_Site-Plan-598x757.jpg
16 REPLIES 16
owen
Newcomer
[Edit] I overlooked the 'increase in rise' .. so you would have to try below with beams, not walls (which would mean you can't put openings directly in them)

Assuming you mean the section is a constant along their length then a complex profiled wall would be the way to go. You could do it with the roof tool but it would take a lot more work and you would end up with a series of segmented or facetted roofs forming the larger roof curve in section. I know what you're thinking but thats just one of those decade old AC wishes that is yet to be fulfilled.

The roof in the top right corner is a bit more tricky as it seems to be irregular in plan so it cannot be done with a simple extrusion. Perhaps the geometry can be broken down into a series of intersecting extrustions? Hard to tell at this scale

cheers,

owen
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jamie_K wrote:
I would like the roofs not only to go from point a to point b with a gradual increase in their rise, but I would like to curve them with their sides.
Anything like the objects in the attached image? If so, take a look at OBJECTiVE
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the same problem ... I want to make a dome shape roof with different height...
and I have not been able to find a solution with that kind of roof..
Anonymous
Not applicable
christaline,

Perhaps you could try the "Beam Tool" + "Complex Profile"...

Open the AC Reference Manual and do a simple search with these two keywords.

If this wont help... Post an image of what you are trying to achieve.

HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the help =]

Though I was more along the lines of having my roof appear like this attachment. I'm not quite sure how I can do that with those shapes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jamie,
Jamie_K wrote:
I'm not quite sure how I can do that with those shapes.
If I were in this situation...
I'd use the mesh tool, which gives you a lot more freedom of modeling...
Fine tune the mesh...
Copy and elevate the same mesh...
Finally I'd do a simple subtraction SEO... like here.
HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Braza,

I did as you said, though when i use the SEO having the target as the wall and the mesh as the element, and do a downward extrusion, the wall doesnt seem to cut.

I hope the attachment helps.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jamie_K wrote:
I'm not quite sure how I can do that with those shapes.
Perhaps something like the attached image - I'm still not quite sure what you're after. These shapes take only seconds to make or change, so it's very easy to explore different alternatives. OBJECTiVE is free for educational use too.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you Ralph and Braza.. thank you for all the solution...
now I can make a curve roof with different elevation using objective...
Jamie, maybe you must use objective tools to make those type of roof.. you can download that tools...

cheers,
christaline
Learn and get certified!