BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Locking Profiles

Karl Barker
Participant
here is a quick question, perhaps something to add to a wish-list.
As a CAD manager, I would really like to be able to lock down profiles in AC.
Not so much as that a user cannot alter the profiles to their own preferences, but more to be able to lock the position, arrangement and size of the pallets etc. on the screen.
The number of times I head over to someones workstation to help them out with a problem, either 'I can't find this' or 'where is that shortcut', the first thing I have to do is to 're-apply' our company 'standard' working profile.

I dont mind them having the ability to turn things on and off, like the navigator, but when I find pallets all over someones desktop, I can't find what they are after, let or lone have them find things for themselves.

I suspect that having a docking system on the Mac may help this.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
The idea behind the work environments (WE) is that everyone can have there own WE and work smart.

Instead of everyone having to use your WE, there should be a folder on your server where everyone stores their work environment. This allows you to add your WE to any and all computers in and out of the office.
When working at another computer just switch the WE to yours temporarily.

I have several different work environments. These reflect different screen/computer setups. You can also create ones for different phases of a project etc.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Karl wrote:
here is a quick question, perhaps something to add to a wish-list.
As a CAD manager, I would really like to be able to lock down profiles in AC.
Not so much as that a user cannot alter the profiles to their own preferences, but more to be able to lock the position, arrangement and size of the pallets etc. on the screen.
The number of times I head over to someones workstation to help them out with a problem, either 'I can't find this' or 'where is that shortcut', the first thing I have to do is to 're-apply' our company 'standard' working profile.

I dont mind them having the ability to turn things on and off, like the navigator, but when I find pallets all over someones desktop, I can't find what they are after, let or lone have them find things for themselves.

I suspect that having a docking system on the Mac may help this.

What Erika says is also a possible solution but if you want locked WE profiles, then I found the following for you in the Getting Started PDF file:

With a Commercial and certain Educational licenses, it is possible to create
a custom installation package that contains all the company standard
environment settings, such as:
Work environment settings
• DXF/DWG Translators used by default
• Project templates
Distributing this installation package in the office makes it possible for all
associates to have a copy of ArchiCAD customized according to the
company standards determined by the CAD Manager.

See further Details in the PDF file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!