Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Black background vs. White background

rob2218
Enthusiast
I suppose you could say, "well...it's just a matter of getting used to it" but....the bottom line truth of the matter is that colors (unless your are color blind like me) on a black background can be seen much easier than colors on a white background.

For example, if you by mistake leave a small piece of a line, say 2" long and the line was drawn in pen yellow, guaranteed that the yellow is easier seen in "black" than in "white" background.

Again I understand, we all get used to drawing a certain way but there is a logic behind using a "black" background and it's not just because...."oh I like the way it looks better"....NO..it's because IT WORKS BETTER.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
32 REPLIES 32
Erika Epstein
Booster
Like the cream colored tracing paper I prefer, I have a cream colored screen background. It's actually one of the Eye-ease colors that was posted many years ago on this forum:
R 248
G 242
B 222

It looks similar in color to Peter Clark's image.

I also always have the WE option 'Automatic Pen Color Vidibility Adjustment for Model Views' checked. I set up everyone regardless of their screen background color with this option checked. The slight graying of a color, close to your background color,is a screen option;, it does NOT print. I find this to be a good work-smart option.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
vistasp wrote:
Off-topic: Peter, your random image shows the FPCP in the section. Is this manually drawn or is there some setting I've missed?
I manually drew it in. No secret setting I'm afraid!
Stephen wrote:
Back in the hand-drafting days I always used white paper. White background just seems natural.
GeNOS wrote:
my plans are printed in black and white so i see no need to draft plans in anything but
How do you guys deal with white cover fills? If you turn on Automatic Pen Color Visibility Adjustment to make these display in grey against a white background, does it not get confusing if you also have other elements deliberately shaded in grey?
not sure what you mean???
Erika Epstein
Booster
GeNOs,
You can take advantage of color when working in archicad to give you immediate graphic feedback. You can then have another pen set that is applied to the drawing placed on the layout that has black, gray and white pens. The pens in both pen-sets have the exact same pen-width.

A simple common advantage to this is dimensions, live versus custom. If for example your dimensions are all done with light blue including the text. All of this blue text is LIVE. If you change the length of a wall then the dimension text will reflect this change.

Then there are times when you want call out a dimension as 'min. 3'-6"' as in a railing or add a ± to the dimension to show the contractor that this one dimension is where they can take up and small anomalies. These FIXED dimensions your office will have change to a RED color so it tells you and anyone else that for whatever reason, this is not a live dimension.

Bottom line is that you can use color to work smart. There are quite a few discussions about pen-sets or pen-profiles if you do a search to find other examples.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
GeNOs:

Also, you can work in color, then simply output in black & white, which retains the pen weights.

HTH

David
Output-black-&-white.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
I like to use a background that looks like my old drafting board.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah i realise that i can work in colour and print in black and white with the same pen weights. just never seen the need to draft using colour.. tho i do like the idea of LIVE and FIXED dims being different colours.. but still other then that i cant see any need for colors??
Erika Epstein
Booster
GeNOs,
Challenge yourself to come up with ways color can help. For example I zoom in and out as I am working. Zoomed in where I see only bits of elements surround my focus I can tell by its color whether a line is part of a dimension string, a library part, section marker, HVAC element etc.

If you are not using color, you are working dumb not smart.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
or is it that im working soooo smart i don't need colour??

is there a way of making AC give the dim lines red or blue for fixed or live dims automatically? or do i have to nominate it manually via colour changes or favorites??
Karl Barker
Participant
What do you mean by fixed and live dimensions?
I thought that Dimensions were always live, so if something was adjusted, the dimension was updated?
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Anonymous
Not applicable
if its not attached to anything its fixed/static..