Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get the Modular Joinery object!

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=135321#135321
a little more.

Ralph Wessel has created a hugely flexible window/door/panel/storefront/curtain wall GDL object, called Modular Joinery. It was commissioned by Graphisoft U K and is distributed to their Archicad subscribers, and for similar purpose to other distributors.

I've been using it for a week or so now, and I find it extraordinarily good, and something I've been wishing to have for a long time. Not only is the object itself working very well, it also has a new, simple yet very creative and useful UI (user interface), and also comes with a 22-page user manual!

If you have an Archicad subscription, immediately ask your distributor to supply you with this GDL object, and if he/she doesn't have it, to get it from Graphisoft U.K.!

I'd also like to send my sincere thanks to Graphisoft U K who've had the wit to engage one of the most distinguished GDL programmers for this task, and to share it with the user community this way. And of course, to Ralph!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
145 REPLIES 145
Eduardo Rolon
The first rule of the Modular Joinery Club…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

vistasp
Advisor
Why are so many resellers making heavy weather of this. The guys in Bombay, unsurprisingly, hadn't heard of it but, when made aware, they contacted GS-UK, got the object, burnt it on CDs, wrote "modular joinery object" with a black marker and simply couriered it. The whole process took about 10 days and without any special infrastructure. 😉

I've always envied the kind of support that AC users have in Europe, North America and Aus/NZ but, for once, things seem to have worked better over here.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
it took us about two weeks to get it.
and came with a couple of conditions.
One was we are not supposed to talk about it or advertise in any way its availability ?!? what? modular joinery club indeed.
Thomas Holm
Booster
sdb wrote:
One was we are not supposed to talk about it or advertise in any way its availability ?!? what? modular joinery club indeed.
They forgot to give me those restrictions 😉

I wonder what philosophy lies behind this. Is it bad to sell more by giving people better service and a better product?
Christiaan
Participant
Does anyone know of any other companies in Europe making modular windows similar to Velfac?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christiaan wrote:
Does anyone know of any other companies in Europe making modular windows similar to Velfac?
Protec windows are similar. http://www.protecwindows.com/en.aspx
Christiaan
Participant
Thanks Peter.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Peter wrote:
...Protec windows are similar...
Peter, I have no problem with Protec windows, but they are absolutely not similar to the Velfac 200-series ones. If you compare the frame and sash profiles, you'll see what I mean. And this difference is also the reason that it's impossible to fully recreate the Velfac windows using Archicad's standard library objects. If you want a true model of Velfac windows, short of creating the GDL object yourself, I've found no other way than using the Modular Joinery object. And since this functionality is lacking in the standard library, I think it should be included in the standard libraries in all countries, or at least posted by Graphisoft here in the depository!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Thomas,

It was just a suggestion! We've specified them several times instead of Velfac (mainly due to cost), so they were aesthetically similar enough for us! You can also model it accurately using the modular joinery object, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

I wouldn't be suprised if Velfac had some kind of patent on the doubled up frames that form the transoms and mullions. Anyway, you probably know more about this style of wood/aluminium windows as most seem to come from the Scandinavian area!

As an alternative I also notice that Olsen do a wood/alu window that might be modular, but their website is rubbish and doesn't show any photos or details - http://www.olsenuk.com/default.asp
Thomas Holm
Booster
Sorry did I sound agressive? No such intent!
The thing with the Velfac 200 outward opening windows (I prefer the "sidehung projecting" when possible) is that as in the attached picture, the sash frame is aluminium, slightly larger than the window frame (which is wood), and seen from the outside completely covers and protects the window frame. This relation is what makes it impossible to model with AC's standard objects. There simply aren't enough parameters!

This also means that you get an unusually big glass area for a certain window size, and also that fixed and openable windows look exactly alike, both from inside and outside. In fact, you can, after installation, change a fixed window to an openable by after-market installation of hinges etc!

The transom designs also make it possible to combine frames and assemblies very freely and still make everything look like one unit/curtain wall.

The "sidehung projecting" option in addition makes it possible to use outward-opening windows in multistorey buildings without risking peoples lives when cleaning them!

http://www.VELFAC.co.uk/projects/projects

There are designs on the market that get close, but I haven't seen anyone completely like it, so it might very well be patented, I don't know. For the projects I know, their pricing has been reasonable, even if not cheap.

You have to be very careful when you dimension them, though, and check their order confirmations to the letter! They deliver to your specs by the millimetre. Mistakes are expensive!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!