BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modifying Stair ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm building a ss
tair and having a little problem in modifying it on plan view.
In my attached filed, I have a little corner of a landing that I want it to be cut off. But I don't know how.
Please help.
Many thanks
31 REPLIES 31
bgoodale wrote:
i find the stairs to be a major limiting factor in ArchiCAD and extremely frustrating.

yes, you can model them with parts and detail with 2d, but it takes too much time.

Stairbuilder and Archistair almost get it right, but the stuff they get wrong really sucks.

But other major CAD and BIM programs aren't much better. Revit's stair tools are useles for any residential stair work, Chief Architect is OK for some things but has limitations, and Vectorwroks is completely useless.

I guess it is just the highly complex nature of stairs that makes impossible to design a good 3d tool that does everything you need. oh well...
It doesn't take as much time as you may think. I do it the way I do it becaue it's faster and more accurate that using the stair tools.

The stair tools are a complete waste of time if you are modeling for a material list.

I copy and paste stairs from other projects and with very little tweaking it's finished and exactly how I want it.

All you need is a tread and a riser. Use the multiply tool.

Let me make you a stair. I will send it to you as parts and see if you don't like working with the parts better than with the stair tools.

Also keep in mind that those stair tools never produce a materials list either.

What you need is a good set of schedules for your stair and a few parts.

If you are not modeling the stair for a material list then why model it at all?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

bgoodale
Booster
i'll have to give it a try doing it your way. my modelling can always use some practice.
AC 25
WINDOWS 10
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.4 GHZ
128 GB RAM
64 Bit Operating System x64 based processor
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Learn and get certified!