BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Dual Screen Monitor Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

I seem to be having some issues running ArchiCAD 12 with 2 monitors.

I have a MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M 256MB vram).

When I am hard at work at my desk, I have the system connected to 2 monitors to enlarge my virtual workspace. I place my Project Navigator and other tool palettes on the second monitor. Works great.

When I'm working elsewhere, away from my desk, or I otherwise do not have access to that second monitor, ArchiCAD does not appear to be smart enough to realize there's only 1 screen, and my palettes are all gone. Toggling them on and off doesn't bring them up. Restarting ArchiCAD doesn't help. (Typically, ArchiCAD isn't running when I unplug the external monitor.) The palettes are obviously still on that 2nd monitor, despite the fact that its no longer connected.

This also happens with the pop-up (for dragging, etc) as well as the tracker.

New windows (views and layouts) will reposition themselves, although the aspect ratio is per the monitor they were last on.

Any ideas? Glitch in the program, or is there a way to reset to default positions for all the palettes?
5 REPLIES 5
vistasp
Advisor
StaceyS, what you need to do is to re-adjust your Work Environment when you open the file on a single monitor system. Instead of "Last Profile Used", select one of the standard ones from the drop-down list.

Of course, if you save this file while away from your desk and reopen it on your normal workstation, you will have lost your dual-monitor setup. You might be interested in learning about saving your work environment and palette schemes. Have a look at the archicad help file and reference guide.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes; and welcome to the forum...
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I actually just found those settings last night about 40 minutes after posting.

I think what I'll do is set up 2 profiles: 1 for running with 2 monitors, and one for running with just 1. That way I can easily switch and not have to move palettes around all the time.

Thanks for your help, and glad to be part of the forum.

StaceyS
Karl Ottenstein
Actually, you do not want to change your entire WE when you switch between two and one monitor - only the Palette Layout Scheme. You want everything else - your menus, shortcuts, etc to stay the same.

While on your two monitor set-up, rearrange everything as you would like to see it on a single monitor. In WE > Palette Schemes "Store As" with a new name.

In the Command Layout Scheme > Menus, define a new submenu of the Windows menu (for example) and drag into it the list called "List of Palette Layouts" (screenshot).

This gives you quick access to switching your screen layout - see the next post/screenshot.

Cheers,
Karl
new menu item.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Here's how this looks on my Mac from the ArchiCAD Windows menu...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very Slick. I'll set that up today. Thanks!

StaceyS
Learn and get certified!