Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Black background vs. White background

rob2218
Enthusiast
I suppose you could say, "well...it's just a matter of getting used to it" but....the bottom line truth of the matter is that colors (unless your are color blind like me) on a black background can be seen much easier than colors on a white background.

For example, if you by mistake leave a small piece of a line, say 2" long and the line was drawn in pen yellow, guaranteed that the yellow is easier seen in "black" than in "white" background.

Again I understand, we all get used to drawing a certain way but there is a logic behind using a "black" background and it's not just because...."oh I like the way it looks better"....NO..it's because IT WORKS BETTER.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
32 REPLIES 32
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
GeNOS wrote:
yeah i realise that i can work in colour and print in black and white with the same pen weights. just never seen the need to draft using colour.. tho i do like the idea of LIVE and FIXED dims being different colours.. but still other then that i cant see any need for colors??
Just a few off the top of my head:
1. To distinguish line weights, even when zoomed out or with only hairlines shown.
2. To distinguish the type of element (for example: slab vs. roof) in 2D and 3D.
3. To distinguish the layer of element.
This all assumes standards have been established and adhered to during the course of the project, but having done that, I cannot imagine using ArchiCAD without color, it just seems crippling.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
What do you mean by fixed and live dimensions?
I thought that Dimensions were always live, so if something was adjusted, the dimension was updated?
Karl:

I think what Erika is referring to is when a dimension text is changed from Measured Value to Custom Text, so that some text can be added (for example "+/-"), or the dimension itself can be edited. Ideally, all dimensions would remain live, but this is not always possible (added text) or practical (edited dimension).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
GeNOS wrote:
yeah i realise that i can work in colour and print in black and white with the same pen weights. just never seen the need to draft using colour.. tho i do like the idea of LIVE and FIXED dims being different colours.. but still other then that i cant see any need for colors??
I like to use lots of dims that I don't want to see in the prints. I make these smaller and a different color. It is also useful when you use the Find and Select tool.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Erika Epstein
Booster
I agree completely with David's list. I mostly work in hairlines for accuracy and so it is ULTRA important that I use color.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
Steve wrote:
I like to use lots of dims that I don't want to see in the prints. I make these smaller and a different color. It is also useful when you use the Find and Select tool.
What kind of dimensions do you place but don't want to print?
for as-built drawings I have a separate layer for dimensions. This way I can check my modeling as a I go. Then I print this out for return trips to the site as there is inevitably something missed, or doesn't add up...
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika wrote:
What kind of dimensions do you place but don't want to print? ...
things like finish dimensions. I only want dimensions to face of stud in the prints. Also to dimensions of objects in the room, dimensions that I need to know in order to accurately place something that is dimensioned. I usually dimension my light fixture layouts to make sure I am not hitting a ceiling joist or something, but I don't want to see those dimensions on my electrical plan. I use discriptors like "4 equal spaces, center line, EQ 5 typ., things like that rather than dimensions. Sometimes I add a dimension just to give myself a center point node point I can use to place something.
All of the kinds of things that we used to use the violet colored pencil for when we worked on paper. That color would not show up on the blue line prints. I use an ultra violet color for this for the same reason I use the background color of my old drafting board.

I like to leave them in the drawings because they tell me why things are where they are. They are of course on a no print layer.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
GeNOS wrote:
Just a few off the top of my head:
1. To distinguish line weights, even when zoomed out or with only hairlines shown.
2. To distinguish the type of element (for example: slab vs. roof) in 2D and 3D.
3. To distinguish the layer of element.
This all assumes standards have been established and adhered to during the course of the project, but having done that, I cannot imagine using ArchiCAD without color, it just seems crippling.

David
i dont really have a need for any of that, i just seem to know whats what cos i did it/put it there.. i guess it would be helpful if more then one person was working on the jobs?. but i cant see any need for any of that for myself (personally)
Arcadia
Booster
GeNOS wrote:
i use a white back ground and everything (all my pens) is set to black (no colors).. for that reason i use white back ground.. my plans are printed in black and white so i see no need to draft plans in anything but
"ditto". White fills and lines can be hard to find sometimes on the other hand when they are placed for masking purposes at least you are seeing the drawing as it will be printed with the fill hiding what you want to hide.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I work with color strictly, I cannot imagine working with black only. My main reason is to distinguish lineweights. We've memorized the lineweights by color. You know immediately by looking at the screen what lineweight something is and if it needs to be changed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
I work with color strictly, I cannot imagine working with black only. My main reason is to distinguish lineweights. We've memorized the lineweights by color. You know immediately by looking at the screen what lineweight something is and if it needs to be changed.
all my elements are set up with he correct line weights for out lines, cut lines etc.. so i shoudlnt need to change anything cos AC will sort the weights out for me....