BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Renovation projects in ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody, I've been recently working on a house renovation project using ArchiCAD 12. I was wondering if anybody can help me understand if what I did is actually a good way to use the software.

In the first place I've created the full model of the existing building with the data from the survey. Then I duplicated the file, and modified the building according to the renovation project.

At the moment I'm completing the whole documentation package for the submittal of the project to the city council. I'm keeping the entire layout book inside the second file I created, and I'm inserting plans, sections etc. as model views from the survey file. The problem I have is that whenever I modify the source file, the updating of those views in the layout book always takes a very long time, and often ArchiCAD crashes altogether! Both files are rather small (it's a single unit bulding, 3 storeys, 50m2 each) and I'm working with a brand new computer! (a 6 months old iMac). Is this normal?

Thank you!

Enrico
18 REPLIES 18
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
This should be under "Working in ArchiCAD". Basically you model and document with ArchiCAD whatever kind of phase/purpose/design etc. If it's renovation or new or anything else it is not important IMO.
Good idea to have the original intact btw. Then you can use Trace&Reference to show the new magic you do to your clients.

Have you been in contact with your support?
/Cheers
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Enrico wrote:
Hi everybody, I've been recently working on a house renovation project using ArchiCAD 12. I was wondering if anybody can help me understand if what I did is actually a good way to use the software.

In the first place I've created the full model of the existing building with the data from the survey. Then I duplicated the file, and modified the building according to the renovation project.
Hi Enrico,

I used to work with renovations about 2 years ago, the best Workflow for us at the end was something like this:

- Model the Original building on a PLN and save it as MOD file.

- Create another file (PLN or PLP If teamwork) for the Renovations.

- Hotlink the MOD into the PLN or PLP, on a proper "Master layer".

- From this file, you can "Demolish" some of the elements using the Mark Up tool. (this allows you switch on/off the objects and to to override the color of those objects to gray or red, accordingly to your standards)

- If you're using a PLP or the file gets bigger than 50mb (2 years ago) then move all the layouts to a different PLN and use it as an old LBK o Layout Book file.

- Link all the views to the Layout Book as PMK files, this saves you hours of updating drawings.

This is obviously not compulsory but is a way to do it that used to works well.

Hopefully this helps

Nando M
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Karl Frost
Participant
We usually have our layouts in a separate PLN file as we find the main file size gets too big if the model and layouts are combined. However we often have trouble updating views, especially from Teamwork (PLP) files. While ArchiCAD rarely crashes when we try to update views it often will not complete the update. As far as I can tell this is possibly linked to an error or similar message when the file is opened e.g. ArchiCAD cannot find a particular add-on/item or similar resulting in a pop-up window that wants you to click "OK". If this happens during when you try to update a view I think the update fails because you cannot click the "OK"!
For this reason we are glad that PMK files have come back, even if it means using up more space on the server.
On a separate note I like the idea of using the Mark Up tool to edit the existing building model - I must try this out.
KeesW
Advocate
Another tecnique is to make a copy of the existing floor plans, explode them, convert them into dashed lines on a demolition layer and lock this layer. Then place this locked floor plan under the live modelled plans. When walls on the live plans are deleted, dashed lines automatically remain.

This was explained at length in the NZ archicad book called "Framework" and we've been using it ever since.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Stress Co_
Advisor
Read HERE AEC Byte's Tips & Tricks for Remodels and Additions.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Arcadia
Booster
KeesW wrote:
Another tecnique is to make a copy of the existing floor plans, explode them, convert them into dashed lines on a demolition layer and lock this layer. Then place this locked floor plan under the live modelled plans. When walls on the live plans are deleted, dashed lines automatically remain.

This was explained at length in the NZ archicad book called "Framework" and we've been using it ever since.
This technique sounds very good and is certainly something I would try next time. The last time I did a reno I just converted any walls or elements that were to be removed to a dashed line type and wire frame and this worked fine also.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Karl Ottenstein
Enrico wrote:
Hi everybody, I've been recently working on a house renovation project using ArchiCAD 12...
...and, by the way, Congratulations on winning a free commercial license in the monthly "Experience BIM" competition!

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/press_zone/bim_winner_200909.html

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
We do a lot of residential remodeling projects. What we have developed is a layer system that allows us to differentiate between existing work (locked once completed), modified existing (i.e. placing windows or doors in existing walls or changing skins), removed/demolished and new work. It sounds complex but once you set up your layer combos and view sets it's great. It also allows more control over your materials lists. Only want to see new doors, only reference new walls layer.
KeesW
Advocate
We have foud that the real issue with renovations is not layer control but things like junctions, priority intersections and similar issues that can completely stuff a drawing which contains new, demolished and old items. Archicad's inability to realise that 99% of users don't want gaps left in existing or new walls when the elements that previously joined at the point are removed or hidden causes inumerable, time consuming distractions. More intelligent defaults would help many users.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Learn and get certified!