BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Using the"Wallhole" command.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to create a window with an arched top. In plan, I create a slab that has the desired shape, I give it an ID listing of "Wallhole", and I insert it into the wall using the "window" tool but I only get a rectangular opening without the desired arched top. Can anybody help me with this. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jerome,

Did you simply change the ID of a slab is a part of the window?... or Have you modeled a separate slab for the wallhole and changed its ID?...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I modeled a separate slab and gave it an ID listing of "Wallhole." Is this correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I modeled a separate slab and gave it an ID listing of "Wallhole." Is this correct?

The ID must be just "Wallhole" not "Wallhole."... with no endpoint... Have you checked it?
HTH.
Karl Ottenstein
Jerome wrote:
Yes. AC 9 and above only. I do not believe that it matters that you used a capital "W". But, I am guessing that when you selected your assembly (you did select ALL elements, including the wallhold slab, right?) - and saved it as a GDL object that when you selected 'window' as the object type, you may not have selected the 'Editable GDL Script' (or something like that - not running AC right now) radio button?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for you interest in this problem. Please let me state the way that I've been proceeding:

1. I create the window assemble in plan using the wall tool for the mullions and the slab tool for the glass.

2. I then create a separate all-encompassing slab that engulfs the above-mentioned elements (see attachment). This slab has the desired contour of the window opening and I give it an ID listing of "wallhole".

3. In the 3d window, I save the object (see attachment) with the File>GDL Objects>Save Project As command.

4. In the Save as Library Part dialog box, I save it as a window and I check the "Editable GDL Scrip" radio button.

5. I then insert it with the window tool and the desired arched top does not appear.
arched top.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jerome,

You may have to do it at the Global zero centre (0, 0).

I think you can't see it because it will be outside the wall.

Regards,
Barry Kelly
I am not sure if this is related exactly to your problem but a similar (same?) thing happened to me just yesterday when I quickly showed someone how to create a custom window object.
I followed the same procedure as you and gave the slab an ID of "WALLHOLE".
Created the object and lo and behold it was a rectagular wallhole - not shaped.
I had a look at the script and the "WALLHOLE" command was there but right at the end of the 3D script.
I cut it out and pasted it back to the beginning just after the MUL and ADD commands.
Saved and all was well.
I was just doing this quickly and did not explore the problem any further.
This was probably the first custom window i have created in version 12.
I have never had problems with this in previous versions.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all of your responses (especially to Karl O. in Montana). I'm getting it to work now. Apparantly, this was the problem:

In the Save as Library Part dialogue box, I didn't check the "Editable GDL Script" radio button.

Jerome
Learn and get certified!