BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Database recommendations?

Rick Thompson
Expert
Hello, Karl and other database heads. I have been using Filemaker (now using 7) for many years, but know very little about relational databases, except I need one. Currently I am on version 7, which has current issues under 10.5, and is not recommended for 10.6, or so I understand. To upgrade requires a new license at $300, which bothers me as it works fine, except I can't upgrade to 10.6. So, I need to pay the gate keeper at Filemaker, or fine something else. IF something is available and I could import my 5 different tables, a zillion fields, and many forms reasonably intact (how ridiculous is this request:) I would appreciate suggestions. I know there are cheaper things out there, but importing from Filemaker???

Or, anybody using 7.0 and tried it on 10.6?

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Rick,

Somebody else will have to give a good Mac-answer to this one.

I, too, have a copy of Filemaker 7 Pro (Mac) from some years ago ... bought for a project that never happened. I have used Microsoft Access on Windows for many years, and found Filemaker significantly inferior ... and so I still use Access on my Mac, under Parallels Desktop.

Ignoring all of the programming, query, and report power that Access had over that version of Filemaker ... a big one with respect to ArchiCAD is the concept of 'linked tables'. Access will allow you to link to a text/CSV file, as well as Excel, etc .. not just other Access databases. So, you can publish schedules from ArchiCAD that are automatically updated in all of your Access reports. To my knowledge, even recent versions (no idea of current version) of Filemaker would only permit linkage to other Filemaker tables - not text/csv.

Hope to learn more from others who post answers to your question!

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks.. I started out with Access 1.0:) Switched to Filemaker when I went Mac, which was when I went AC4.5. Filemaker has always been problematic for me, but I assume it's just my resistance to that sort of program I see freeware ones out there, but I don't want to start over again, too old for that trip, so I'll probably end up coughing up the $300. I can't believe they make you buy a full license again.

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Rick wrote:
Currently I am on version 7, which has current issues under 10.5, and is not recommended for 10.6, or so I understand.
...anybody using 7.0 and tried it on 10.6?
I use FileMaker Pro 7 on 10.6.1, but I've only used it lightly so far. I haven't seen any problems at all and comments I've read from others say the same. Plugin developers have published that their software works too, which is encouraging. I suggest that you back up regularly and give it a try.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Karl wrote:
I have used Microsoft Access on Windows for many years, and found Filemaker significantly inferior ... and so I still use Access on my Mac, under Parallels Desktop.
I've worked with Access too, but didn't find it superior to FileMaker in any way - which features made the difference for you?
Ralph Wessel BArch
Karl Ottenstein
Ralph wrote:
I've worked with Access too, but didn't find it superior to FileMaker in any way - which features made the difference for you?
For ArchiCAD, primarily the one I listed: being able to live-link text/CSV files into a database project. (You just use 'link' in the Tables area.)

(More generally, the powerful reporting and programming via Visual Basic and visual interface creation, with tons of sample code to borrow from. Also, queries with field renaming and math, and inner/outer joins with visual drag and drop query building as well as SQL for when tabular queries are insufficient.)

If FileMaker has addressed any of these issues, I might switch, since at least it is cross-platform - I think?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
Great news Ralph... I don't use any plug-in, so ...

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick Thompson
Expert
Ralph, I assume it needs Rosetta, so I should install that and also select that under "get info"?

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Learn and get certified!