BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Snow Leopard

Erika Epstein
Booster
Just received notification that Snow Leopard is out on Friday.

This will be my first mac OS upgrade and I am wondering what is involved? Do I order it, or wait a month or more? Any tips?

Will I have to upgrade other software?
Go ahead, laugh at the newbie to mac
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
100 REPLIES 100
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The "random crashes" problem is now fixed by the 10.6.1 system upgrade. It's now safe using ArchiCAd on 10.6.1, but do read the other warnings on http://archicadwiki.com/SnowLeopard
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
two weeks on...

everything has been working great, AC12 runs faster & has only crashed once [about normal 😉 ] i haven't needed to upgrade my wibukey or anything.

The only problem i have had is that i can't use our Canon photocopier/printer as Canon won't have a snow leopard driver until November, which is a bit annoying.
Anyone had anything bad happen?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes! Archicad 12 crashes on launch, as does 11. 10 seems to work ok. I'm running 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz. I've read the ArchicadWiki on Snow Leopard. I don't have any of the Windows True Type fonts installed, I've upgraded the WibuKey driver and consequently now don't have access to Archicad 9 or 8.1 as I used to (Rosetta is installed and I did get the System Extension warning when installing Snow Leopard as shown in the Wiki).

Anybody got any suggestions?

Roger
Karl Ottenstein
No problems at all here - other than a crash today opening a GDL object (!) related to StairMaker that I sent in.

Did the Apple (or Graphisoft) bug reporter appear after the crash? Do you know how to find crash logs using Console? If you run Console, you'll see something like the attached. Maybe you could copy/paste the part that I show in the red box in the screenshot to see if that helps us. (You can grab the text - don't need to do a screenshot.)

Thanks,
Karl
Apple Crash Log.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
I had some real bad sluggishness when I first installed Leopard. It seemed better after closing everything down and reopening. Just zooming in and out was delaying with the little clock curser showing up. Any input was very sluggish. I don't yet know if it is with each new pln opened or what. I need to play with it more... but it was worrisome at first. I thyink it is fine now.. but???
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Rick wrote:
I had some real bad sluggishness when I first installed Leopard.
This is normal. After installing Leopard, Spotlight kicks in to reindex your hard drive. This can take a while, and meantime the computer seems slightly sluggish (because it's constantly working in the background). Watch the Spotlight icon in the top right-hand corner - a dot will flash in the centre while it is reindexing.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Rick Thompson
Expert
well, that makes sense... thanks for clearing that up.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rick wrote:
I had some real bad sluggishness when I first installed Leopard.
To be clear, are you talking about Snow Leopard (OSX.6) or Leopard (OSX.5)?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
David wrote:
To be clear, are you talking about Snow Leopard (OSX.6) or Leopard (OSX.5)?
Spotlight does the same thing when installing either system. It's only a temporary problem though - as soon as it has done indexing, everything goes back to normal. The indexing seems a lot faster in 10.6.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl, thanks for your interest.

The Apple and Graphisoft bug reporters both launch after every crash. I have sent the Graphisoft one off and I have posted the Apple one on the Discussions part of the Apple support website under Snow Leopard. The Console report is quoted below, to just beyond the crash as you suggested:

Process: ArchiCAD [592]
Path: /Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 12/ArchiCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/ArchiCAD
Identifier: com.graphisoft.ArchiCAD
Version: 12.0.0 (12.0.0.2675)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [88]

Date/Time: 2009-09-19 22:03:55.306 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 ??? 0xa00da610 _XHNDL_trapback_instruction + 0
1 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9471504f HandleOFAScalerMessage + 4615
2 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x94713dde SendStrikeMessage + 162
3 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9471d65f _eOFAGetGlyphData + 626
4 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9471cbfc _eGetGlyphAddresses + 2817
5 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9476de08 GetGlyphAddresses + 97
6 com.apple.QD 0x9174aa7b ATSBlitGlyphArray + 371
7 com.apple.QD 0x9174b52c RenderStringOffscreen + 431
8 com.apple.QD 0x91749102 RenderGlyphs + 4862
9 com.apple.QD 0x9174a7a4 StdText + 2587
10 com.apple.QD 0x9174a889 CallText + 59
11 com.apple.QD 0x9174a8e4 DrawChar + 26
12 com.graphisoft.TextEngine 0x03dbefb6 TE::FontFamilyInfo::CalculateSizes(short) + 436
13 com.graphisoft.TextEngine 0x03dabbb8 TE::FontFamilyInfo::GetMaxCharWidth(double) + 58
14 com.graphisoft.ArchiCAD 0x0076203c APIAttribute_Get(APIClient*, API_Attribute*) + 1760

Does this give you any clues as to what is going on? There have been 12 views of my post on Apple Discussions but no replies.

Regards
Roger
Learn and get certified!