Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Snow Leopard

Erika Epstein
Booster
Just received notification that Snow Leopard is out on Friday.

This will be my first mac OS upgrade and I am wondering what is involved? Do I order it, or wait a month or more? Any tips?

Will I have to upgrade other software?
Go ahead, laugh at the newbie to mac
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
100 REPLIES 100
Rick Thompson
Expert
David wrote:
Rick wrote:
I had some real bad sluggishness when I first installed Leopard.
To be clear, are you talking about Snow Leopard (OSX.6) or Leopard (OSX.5)?

David
Yes.. Snow. However, about the same time 13 was finalized and I updated that.. soooo. But, it seems fine now, so the Spotlight issue sounds like the best candidate.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Karl Ottenstein
Roger wrote:
Does this give you any clues as to what is going on?
It would seem to suggest that there is a font issue. The crash is actually in Apple code, not Graphisoft. It appears that it is part of the initialization of ArchiCAD where it is reading available font metrics.

Open the Font Book application (Applications folder) and make sure that you really don't have any of the fonts reported in the Wiki article as causing problems. If not, and you're up for it, you could export all non-basic fonts somewhere on your disk and then delete them from Font Book and see if ArchiCAD starts ... and then gradually import fonts back until you find the problem. I guess? Ralph would know better.

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Roger wrote:
Hi Karl, thanks for your interest.

The Apple and Graphisoft bug reporters both launch after every crash. I have sent the Graphisoft one off and I have posted the Apple one on the Discussions part of the Apple support website under Snow Leopard. The Console report is quoted below, to just beyond the crash as you suggested:

Process: ArchiCAD [592]
Path: /Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 12/ArchiCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/ArchiCAD
Identifier: com.graphisoft.ArchiCAD
Version: 12.0.0 (12.0.0.2675)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [88]

Date/Time: 2009-09-19 22:03:55.306 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 ??? 0xa00da610 _XHNDL_trapback_instruction + 0
1 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9471504f HandleOFAScalerMessage + 4615
2 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x94713dde SendStrikeMessage + 162
3 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9471d65f _eOFAGetGlyphData + 626
4 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9471cbfc _eGetGlyphAddresses + 2817
5 ...ple.ApplicationServices.ATS 0x9476de08 GetGlyphAddresses + 97
6 com.apple.QD 0x9174aa7b ATSBlitGlyphArray + 371
7 com.apple.QD 0x9174b52c RenderStringOffscreen + 431
8 com.apple.QD 0x91749102 RenderGlyphs + 4862
9 com.apple.QD 0x9174a7a4 StdText + 2587
10 com.apple.QD 0x9174a889 CallText + 59
11 com.apple.QD 0x9174a8e4 DrawChar + 26
12 com.graphisoft.TextEngine 0x03dbefb6 TE::FontFamilyInfo::CalculateSizes(short) + 436
13 com.graphisoft.TextEngine 0x03dabbb8 TE::FontFamilyInfo::GetMaxCharWidth(double) + 58
14 com.graphisoft.ArchiCAD 0x0076203c APIAttribute_Get(APIClient*, API_Attribute*) + 1760

Does this give you any clues as to what is going on? There have been 12 views of my post on Apple Discussions but no replies.

Regards
Roger
Hi all,

It's my first post but I think I can help.
I had a hard time yesterday after installing SL.
ArchiCAD 12 and ArchiCAD SE 2009 would crash at start up.
I checked the fonts that reportedly cause this to happen and they weren't installed on my system.

However, I had several fonts that I had manually installed during the past. I removed them and... ArchiCAD works. So, now I have to manually test which font or fonts from the ones that I removed caused the problem.

Hope this helps
Pantelis Ioannidis - MSc Architect
PLAN.13 Design Engineers
http://www.plan13.gr
AC12 | AC SE2009 | Artlantis Studio 2 |
Mac OS 10.6
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Roger,

More than likely you have the Font problem detailed on wiki: http://archicadwiki.com/SnowLeopard

There might be more problem fonts than the 5 currently listed in the wiki article. Please zip up the 3 font folders and send them to your local ArchiCAD support team for investigation.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl and Greg

Thanks very much for your help. I'll give it a try. I don't have too many fonts installed so it may not be too difficult. Do you know where I can find a list of the basic fonts installed by OS X? I also use Microsoft Office and I know that it installs fonts as well. Do you think that one (or more) of those could be responsible?

Regards
Roger
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl, Greg and Pantelis

I have used FontBook to turn off all duplicated fonts and the 10 or so user fonts that I had installed. This has done the trick and Archicad 12 now opens without crashing. I'll do some work with it and report back if I have any problems. Do you think that Graphisoft's advice for the time being should be to use only the basic Apple and Microsoft fonts, rather than just looking for the 5 Autocad fonts that have been identified positively as causing a problem?

Many thanks for your help
Roger
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Roger / Pantelis,

Can you give us a list of fonts that you think are "suspicious"?

Thanks,
Greg
Gergely Kmethy
gkmethy wrote:
Roger / Pantelis,

Can you give us a list of fonts that you think are "suspicious"?

Thanks,
Greg
MgOpen Moderna.dfont
MgOpen Modata.dfont

These are the two font types I found causing the problem. Deleted them and ArchiCAD doesn't crash.

However I have a problem with all my dimensions: the numbers are replaced by squares. Easy to solve after selecting all the project dimensions and changing the font type.

Pantelis
Pantelis Ioannidis - MSc Architect
PLAN.13 Design Engineers
http://www.plan13.gr
AC12 | AC SE2009 | Artlantis Studio 2 |
Mac OS 10.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Greg

For me the problem font was Cardo (Cardo98s.ttf). Turned this off (and, as I said before, turned off all duplicates) and ArchiCad launches without crashing.

I don't really see how this can be solely an Apple problem. All the other software I use launches without crashing if this font is enabled. Archicad is the only programme that has a difficulty with it, so there must be something in Archicad's code which causes the conflict.

Regards
Roger
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thanks Roger and Pantelis, I added these fonts to the list on http://archicadwiki.com/SnowLeopard .

There are several text APIs for Mac, and the conflict is between the API we use and Snow Leopard. So, applications that use a different API are not affected. The ones that use the same that we do, probably also have problems. We will be able to sidestep this problem in a way that no crash will occur right on startup, but you will still be unable to use these fonts until Apple fixes this bug.
Gergely Kmethy