BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Renovation projects in ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody, I've been recently working on a house renovation project using ArchiCAD 12. I was wondering if anybody can help me understand if what I did is actually a good way to use the software.

In the first place I've created the full model of the existing building with the data from the survey. Then I duplicated the file, and modified the building according to the renovation project.

At the moment I'm completing the whole documentation package for the submittal of the project to the city council. I'm keeping the entire layout book inside the second file I created, and I'm inserting plans, sections etc. as model views from the survey file. The problem I have is that whenever I modify the source file, the updating of those views in the layout book always takes a very long time, and often ArchiCAD crashes altogether! Both files are rather small (it's a single unit bulding, 3 storeys, 50m2 each) and I'm working with a brand new computer! (a 6 months old iMac). Is this normal?

Thank you!

Enrico
18 REPLIES 18
owen
Newcomer
KeesW wrote:
We have foud that the real issue with renovations is not layer control but things like junctions, priority intersections and similar issues that can completely stuff a drawing which contains new, demolished and old items. Archicad's inability to realise that 99% of users don't want gaps left in existing or new walls when the elements that previously joined at the point are removed or hidden causes inumerable, time consuming distractions. More intelligent defaults would help many users.
Sorry if i'm missing something but can't this be (mostly) solved using the Layer Intersection Priorities in your Layer Combinations? I know there can still be issues connecting skins of complex composite structures, but hidden elements should never be affecting visible elements if these Layer Intersections are set correctly.

I agree that the whole process is quite cumbersome though and not particularly user-friendly.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
KeesW wrote:
Archicad's inability to realise that 99% of users don't want gaps left in existing or new walls when the elements that previously joined at the point are removed or hidden causes inumerable, time consuming distractions. More intelligent defaults would help many users.
Have you tried using the Intersection group number control in the Layer setting's dialogue box? With the help of this you should not have problems with visible construction elements getting gaps because of the hidden construction elements.
The best way to go about it is to have the demolished / removed construction layers with a different intersection number.
Appendix_Settings.11.31.10.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ooops,

missed that Owen already had answered that.

Sorry about that one
Susanne wrote:
Hi
KeesW wrote:
Archicad's inability to realise that 99% of users don't want gaps left in existing or new walls when the elements that previously joined at the point are removed or hidden causes inumerable, time consuming distractions. More intelligent defaults would help many users.
Have you tried using the Intersection group number control in the Layer setting's dialogue box? With the help of this you should not have problems with visible construction elements getting gaps because of the hidden construction elements.
The best way to go about it is to have the demolished / removed construction layers with a different intersection number.
Thomas Holm
Booster
owen wrote:
Sorry if i'm missing something but can't this be (mostly) solved using the Layer Intersection Priorities in your Layer Combinations? I know there can still be issues connecting skins of complex composite structures, but hidden elements should never be affecting visible elements if these Layer Intersections are set correctly.
Agreed. I've been able to set up quite complex models, with layer combos using different intersection priorities, showing all of as-builts, demolition plans, and planned additions (in two or more optional variants), without any display or model issues.
The process may not be particulary user-friendly, but on the other hand these are complex issues to manage. And the setup I used wasn't too complicated, in principle just one layer combo for each final output.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes controlling the intersection priorities between the layers is time consuming at first, but crucial. Once you set up a template file for 'Renovations Projects' it makes life much easier.
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Stress wrote:
Read HERE AEC Byte's Tips & Tricks for Remodels and Additions.
I've been using strategy #4 (existing PLN hot-linked to new PLN) for a few years and it works very well.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
KeesW
Advocate
Thank you all for your useful replies. The answer is, of couse, in setting the priorities properly and I'll have another go at it. However, Archicad's unintelligent defaults do cause lots of angst and impose the need to spend much time on housekeeping.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
owen
Newcomer
I agree that the defaults are not great ... everything is set to 1 and so cleans up with everything regardless of layer visibility. This changed in 8 (i think?) - prior to that intersection was visibility based so you did not have this problem. The new system is much more flexible, although that does bring complexity.

One more thing to read up on is the effect a hotlinks Master Layer intersection priority will have on how contained element layers interact with the host file ...

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Layer%20Intersection%20Group
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Those were very useful links Owen & Dave. Thanks. I have not used hot-linked files for existing documentation yet. Does it greatly reduce the file size of the 'renovation' file? Do you have to hot-link each layer of the original (existing conditions) file to the renovation file?
Learn and get certified!