Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD Connection for AutoCAD MEP 2008/09

Has anyone used this plug-in or have a consultant who's used it? There's no documentation in the ArchiCAD MEP install folder about this.

Sounds like an IFC enabler. Can it do anything else?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Aaron,

The export plug-in is PC-only and mine is off at the moment, but this is from the main manual:
The MEP Modeler package includes a separate facility for direct AutoCAD
MEP 2008 and 2009 export. (This is an AutoCAD plug-in, for PC’s only,
and can be installed from the MEP Modeler CD. See also the ArchiCAD
Connection PDF document for details on how it works.) MEP Modeler is also
compatible with IFC 2x3.

Thus, architects can create the MEP model within ArchiCAD, based on 2D
documentation received from engineers. Alternatively, they can import a
consultant’s MEP model into ArchiCAD using the IFC format.
..which suggests that IFC is an alternative, but that the AutoCAD plug-in is more direct/native? One of the beta testers who used it - or hopefully a real user - might jump in here with some more info if you cannot find the "ArchiCAD Connection" PDF mentioned above...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
The AutoCAD MEP plug appears to use IFC as the file format but forces the IFC objects that are cerated to contain the appropriate information so that when they are opened in ArchiCAD MEP they become MEP objects rather than IFCBuildingObjectProxy. This is critical if you want to use the MEP clash detection or other MEP features.

We are trying to use the plugin round trip with an MEP consultant but are struggling with the plugin. The consultant is using Autocad MEP 2010 and the plugin appears to only work in Autocad MEP 2008! When they back save the project to 2008 it crashes their system. We can get the raw geometry from them using basic IFC 2x3 files but we can't do much with it other than a visual inspection.

We've passed our concerns on to Graphisoft Technical support in Aus. Does anyone out there know if a 2010 plugin exists?
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
GS stated in another thread recently that MEP Modeler, along with other Add-Ons, will be updated for AC13 and the update will be available free of charge. Several language versions should be available already

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=153479&highlight=mep+free#153479

So you can check with your local reseller whether that update contains the feature you are looking for.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
Thanks Laszlo. I've added my question to that thread as well.

Still no answer from our reseller in Aus. It might help if those selling the platform had some idea of how it works rather than just being able to read from the marketing brochure!!!!
I'd rather be sailing.
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
Following feedback from our services consultant the new plug-in for ArchiCAD 13 does prompt to install with Autocad MEP 2010.

Unfortunately when we open files received from them the IFC generates ifcBuildingProxy objects and not native MEP objects in our project. Help files for the AutoCAD MEP plug-in seem non existent.

Does anyone on the forum have ay experience with the MEP connection?

What are the likely mistakes I should be looking for in the information exchange?

EDIT: Our services consultant has just informed me that even though they installed the plug-in it hasn't added anything to the file menu as shown in the Graphisoft videos? Do they have to add the commands to the file menu similar to making MEP commands appear in ArchiCAD?
I'd rather be sailing.