BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Spell checker that actually remembers words added or ignored

Paul King
Advisor
Currently when spell checking and a word appears that user wants to be added to dictionary or ignored thereafter, ArchiCAD ignores its own option to "Add" or "Ignore All".
Ticking either of these options does not prevent spell checker from stopping again & again at subsequent incidences of same unrecognised word.

Similarly, "Replace All" only replaces the current incidence - not all words spelled the same way.

This bug may well be a deficiency in the interface between ArchiCAD & MS word, and has been reported to reseller or direct to GS many many times over successive ArchiCAD versions (by me) and is long overdue for a solution!
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
4 REPLIES 4
owen
Newcomer
I would assume AC uses the system-wide spell checker available in Windows or OSX rather than having its own built in? I have no idea so if anyone knows ...

I think you can create your own word lists to add to these libraries ... would have to do some research though. Never really thought about it but this could be useful for adding technical terms/abbreviations, names etc that you commonly use.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Paul King
Advisor
owen wrote:
I would assume AC uses the system-wide spell checker available in Windows or OSX rather than having its own built in? I have no idea so if anyone knows ...

I think you can create your own word lists to add to these libraries ... would have to do some research though. Never really thought about it but this could be useful for adding technical terms/abbreviations, names etc that you commonly use.
Hi - ArchiCAD uses Microsoft Word dictionary for spell checker. It is indeed supposed to allow you to add words, technical abbreviations etc to dictionary, but this has not worked for many ArchiCAD versions.
You can try it by making up a new word, and copy-pasting it 10 times in an ArchiCAD window then spell checking... Spell checker will stop again at each one, no matter how often you have told it to add or ignore that word.
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
owen
Newcomer
You're right ... i had not actually noticed that it doesn't work in the ArchiCAD spell checker.

I assume the spell checker on Mac is based on the built in OSX Dictionary, not the MS Word one.

Either way .. can the words be added outside ArchiCAD and then does AC recognize them as 'correct' (I have not tried). I know this isn't very convienient ...
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Paul King
Advisor
owen wrote:
You're right ... i had not actually noticed that it doesn't work in the ArchiCAD spell checker.

I assume the spell checker on Mac is based on the built in OSX Dictionary, not the MS Word one.

Either way .. can the words be added outside ArchiCAD and then does AC recognize them as 'correct' (I have not tried). I know this isn't very convienient ...
Unfortunately, even if you do add the word manually (eg by opening a session of MS Word), it won't help. Anyway, ArchiCAD writes to the custom dictionary perfectly well, but just does not read from it when spell checking - only uses the main built-in MS Word dictionary
Learn and get certified!