Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Inter-object communication

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be helpful to launching the next generation of BIM software, as well as to doing the work that larger projects require, if we had inter-object communication controllable at the user level.
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Didrik!

Do you mean only communication between objects, or between any element?

And, by communication, do you mean data sharing? (Which global variables or external files awkwardly can do now.) Or active message passing?

And, does communication include 'awareness' - e.g., one object becomes aware (is notified via message) that it bumps into another.

Perhaps some example of your wish would make it easier for more people to vote on it.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
The idea is suggested by long-existing capabilities in
ArchiCAD: A window or door that extends past the wall
into which it is put already flags that condition. The
thought was to extend this capability to additional 3D
objects and elements.

At the user level, ArchiCAD objects which are
spatially sensitive to some elements would be useful in
"clash detection and management." A sink object that's
partially pushed into a wall, e.g., would be helpful to
detect. Walls inside other walls might be helpful to
detect. And so on.

Beyond adding these small feature improvements,
though, is adding data interconnections that help to
manage space and exposing these data connections to the
user. Zones need to be more robust. Mouse-over a Zone
might show more info than what the Zone is: we need
relationship info, perhaps simply containment info. This
is also the arena which would work to effectively improve
planning and early design capabilities.

Again, I take the lead from Graphisoft's existing
press on the new energy capabilities: 80% of energy
implications are made early on in the design process.
Capturing and documenting decisions in early design is a
current need. Adjacency and proximity info are such types
of information. Conformance to program or program
validation comes to mind as a direction to pursue.

Cheers too,
Didrik
Erika Epstein
Booster
This wish reminds me of something mentioned in the Eureka tower presentation by an Australian firm several years ago.

They had a way to add the hole in the slab where plumbing elements were placed. Accurate slab cut drawings were automatically updated as the design developed. I've always wondered how this was done.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
didrik wrote:
At the user level, ArchiCAD objects which are
spatially sensitive to some elements would be useful in
"clash detection and management." A sink object that's
partially pushed into a wall, e.g., would be helpful to
detect.
The MEP add on does this, so some of the technology has been implemented, but not user created (like GDL).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, there are bits and pieces of this capability poking through the UI. We've all come across them -- not the least of which is windows and doors "knowing" they belong in walls. That capability needs to be broader and deeper AND accessible to users without going through GDL scripting. Subtyping and inheritance may be "pre-positioned pieces" of this future capability for all I know.

What's that aphoristic tagline that GS likes to quote about "inventing the future?" For many of us, the future was yesterday.
Erich
Contributor
Erika wrote:
This wish reminds me of something mentioned in the Eureka tower presentation by an Australian firm several years ago.

They had a way to add the hole in the slab where plumbing elements were placed. Accurate slab cut drawings were automatically updated as the design developed. I've always wondered how this was done.
Erika,

Not to hijack the thread, but take a look at the GDL Handbook, page 156. I think this will allow for such a function.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Yes, there are bits and pieces of this capability poking through the UI."
I don't really see that in the UI.
You can use global variables to transfer or give info from object to object.
But as u said the technology is here, and the MEP modeler uses it. But we as users have no access to it. It feels frustrating.
You can get infos from elements in the scene for the object through using the Accessory add-on, and that is great. But you can't create a slab or move it or reshape it.
I wonder what is GS vision on that question.
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Didrik's suggestion has indeed been a long standing suggestion/promise of object capabilites within CAD, (or now) the virtual building. This is especially so for use in 'error trapping' items as he mentions in his previous post.

Object communication could also aid with coordination of items such as the countertop and cabinet 'hole' necessary for the sink's installation. These are the nitty-gritty unglamorous things that will be necessary to realize the promise of a true BIM or virtual building 'system.'

While I voted essential, it should be capable of being over-ridden should some 'creativity' be necessary.

Mark

ArchiCAD 12 2675 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7, Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb OSX.4.11, HP T1100, Epson R1800

Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------
Mark Wallace Architect
Collegeville, PA
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Erich wrote:
Erika wrote:

Erika,

Not to hijack the thread, but take a look at the GDL Handbook, page 156. I think this will allow for such a function.
Actually - I'd like to hijack the thread
For those who don't have the handbook what is the trick?
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]