BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

breaking Section & Elevation Markers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find often that my section and elevation markers stop either showing the correct view, or they wont open when you right click on them and say open and other random things.

Also, I have an elevation marker here that I copied around the house so now I have four, but they all show the original rear elevation. Thy are all set to auto rebuild, and they are all set to source view and first placed drawing of the view point.

what do you guys think about that?

I ALSO think that when you have a section/elevation open and you are working in it and you go to the info box and click on the settings icon they changes you make there should apply to the current section/elevation you are working on!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh,

Given that you are an active forum member I will assume that you covered all the basics.

Here's a guess: If you have been using your laptop for several years, and your program requires disk swapping for large files or complex operations, then you may need to defragment your hard drive and remove enough stuff to maintain at least 2GB of free space.

I had different but equally random AC-12 experiences when my hard drive free space fell below 0.4 GB. Removing old files etc fixed the randomness. Eventually I had to upgrade my hardware.

Mark
Ingolf
Advocate
Hello Jesikuh123!

I totally agree with you that it shold be possible to have a section/elevation open and be able to go to the info box and click on the settings icon. The changes you make there should apply to the current section/elevation you are working on! Would be a lot more intuitive. Isn't that ArchiCAD is all about?

PS: Snapcrackle's guesses are reasonable. AC needs a buffer of free disk space. Save old files on a portable harddisk and defrag. That will probably solve the problem.
2009-09-24 Disk defrag.jpg
Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
PC/i7/W11/ArchiCAD 6.5-27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Snap Crackle- I have 25 GB of free space on my hard drive.

I think I have tried all the basics, but I may be missing something.
If I start with a fresh section/elevation marker the issue seems not to be there. Bu I can't suck up the properties of a marker either or it remains broken.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh,

Before I make suggestions could you post some step by step details on what you did. For example is the problem in the model view or on the layout book, and what is happening in each of the project map, view map windows? Problem everywhere? Did the problem oocur before you relabeled the elevation, and how did you acces the old elevation title; through the layout book and using "modify source view settings" or in the view map? etc.

As I checked my own elevation markers, I could copy/rotate in either manual or auto rebuild and the copied marker showed the correct model view. I sympathize with your [censored] commentary, I have been there before and will be again I'm sure, but could you give a hint of what the verb/action is that you want to take but can't?

Another guess: Reinstall your ac-12 and hot fixes. Your data files will not be affected by this.

BUT First!:
Check your HD: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup to make sure there are no defective sectors (laptop got bumped, extra-dimensional gremlins, etc). Unfortunately this can take 30/60 mins. While you're at such a time waster run disk defrag overnight, never hurts, may help.

The reason I keep suggesting hardware stuff is that random output is just not normal (duh!). Can one assume your AC-12 has been in use on other projects and this was not a problem? If problem is on previously stable AC-12, then cosmic evil has taken residence on your machine, it didn't come through AC-12, the hardware and internet viruses are logical candidates.

All the best,
Mark
PS WAY Off subject: virus=Latin singular for poison, viruses=plural,
viri=latin plural for men, vir=man.
Learn and get certified!