BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3D documents

Anonymous
Not applicable
In 3D documents are dimensions supposed to change when you change the length or height of something?

I don't understand the "Y" value in the tracker.
where is the 0,0 in a 3D document?
When i use my elevation dimension it gives the correct "Z" measurement, but when I hold my cursor over it there is no "Z" value (it is greyed out) and the Y shows as a different number than my dimension.

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Chazz
Enthusiast
In my experience, the dimensions in 3D documents --like the 3D document functionality itself-- is a real disappointment. It's a shame: With a little vision and a more serious execution, it could have been so good. But because this is ArchiCAD nothing will change in the tool for eons until it is replaced by something marginally better but which you have to pay for in an "upgrade".

If you change the shape/size of a dimensioned element, the dimension may or may not update. You can't count on it. But worse is that if you change the view angle of the document, the dimensions go to complete crap. They just go haywire.

But the biggest disappointment is that the 3D doc menu relies on the old, nasty, slow internal 3D engine and cannot display materials/textures.

/sigh
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jesikuh123 wrote:
In 3D documents are dimensions supposed to change when you change the length or height of something?

I don't understand the "Y" value in the tracker.
where is the 0,0 in a 3D document?
When i use my elevation dimension it gives the correct "Z" measurement, but when I hold my cursor over it there is no "Z" value (it is greyed out) and the Y shows as a different number than my dimension.

Any ideas?
I think that the dimension should update if it is an associative dimension point.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Arcadia
Booster
like the 3D document functionality itself-- is a real disappointment.
Funny how your view of things depends on your perspective. Only recently coming from 2d CAD I think 3D documents are a revelation and awesome! The ability to be able to put a 3D document into a set of plans has been great. I don't generally dimension but use them mostly as a way of clarifying a complex detail or structural arrangement or just to provide hidden line external perspective drawings of the building.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Learn and get certified!