Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

[Off-topic] Looking for CD sets to use in teaching

I will be teaching a university course that includes construction documents production, for which I would like to create an archive of CD sets from as many different building types and places in the world, showing as many construction technologies and drawing standards as possible, to use as reference.

If anybody out there has any set that he's reasonably satisfied with, and would be willing to make it available for download as PDFs (once, by me --I would print it out and archive it, without any changes to the titleblock or anything else), please let me know.

If the sets can include specs and consultant drawings, that would be very welcome too. All building types, and even equipment types, work.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio,

I have some sets I could contribute... Send me an email and we can transfer privately. dawone1@cox.net
I thanked Dave privately and praised his drawings immediately after opening the PDFs --but after plotting the sets I think this needs to go public: these are *beautiful* American residential sets that all ArchiCAD dealers should be aware of, and that actually Graphisoft should put on their website along with other beautiful examples from the rest of the world.

The sets show care and understanding about how things are put together, the drawings are beautiful, and the zillion carefully-detailed beautiful sections and interior elevations could only have been done with a mature 'BIM' product (that is, ArchiCAD) (or, alternatively, by an army of thoughtful designers/draftsmen that would be just about impossible to coordinate).

So, for the fifth time in the message: beautiful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignacio,

Wow.. Thanks. I'm a little embarrassed! Feel free to post excerpts from the Smart Residence project here, if you like. I still need to get my sea legs for posting images on this forum (I'm trying to hit a deadline this week, so limited time).

Your comment regarding a mature BIM software package is spot on. Archicad has made my CD's 1000 times better than the old days with pencils or 2D CAD. I'll bet we could coax the same performance from other packages, but for myself, Archicad definitely makes sense and communicates 100% with my 'construction worker brain'. You're right.. what you see on those drawings would not be possible without fully modeling the building. I have pictures of the Smart's finished project on my 'Projects' page... It came out EXACTLY as illustrated in the CD's, except for minor changes we made during construction by choice (not necessity).

Every once in a while I'll get a call from a contractor (especially framers and foundation guys) and they'll say "These are the tightest drawings I've ever seen" which really makes my day, of course. They love seeing all the beams, joists, ductwork, etc. right on the sections, everything thought-out, figured out, no guesswork. I'm not trying to boast; rather, that's the power this software gives us. Particularly sections; Framers LOVE sections. It's not unusual for me to provide a dozen full building sections in a set, and it's effortless if you have a well-developed model. Sometimes, builders I've worked with previously (and thus know what is possible) will call me up and ask for sections at certain areas they don't quite 'see' clearly, and I'll whip them right up within minutes, and send it to their PDA on the jobsite... They swear it's magic (and I don't tell them it ain't ). The goodwill this generates with your builders is PRICELESS. I get jobs through builders frequently.

On the flip side, you need to be really careful to watch yourself.. The biggest danger is getting 'cocky' and thinking you've got all the loose ends covered. I avoid that by using as few 2D edits as possible., and working in the 3D window a lot. You have to let the model create the drawings as entirely as you can. I approach the project as if I'm actually building it in real life, as much as possible.

My instinct leads me to believe that I'm utilizing the software the way it's creator intended... The guy / gal or group that wrote the core code of this software are some truly amazing minds... my hat's off to them!

All my sections, elevations, interiors, etc. are fully automated model views. They update true as Mom and Apple Pie with every change to the model. Ditto for schedules, lists, etc.. all are fully integrated.

I draw the details in 2D, but they're 'pulled' from sections cut from the model via copy-and-paste. If changes occur, I just repeat the copy-and-paste, group the resulting entities, then slide it over the detail and check for discrepancies or required changes. You just have to be sure to check every affected detail (usually not too tough). Those are about the only thing not 'fully automated'. I know they could be, but I haven't really seen how I'd profit from that... the way I do it is pretty easy. And I like the details to be easy to edit quickly and globally.

For newer users: LEARN TO WRITE GDL. Almost every object in those sets is at least partialy, if not completely, homegrown. I have scads of GDL's for all sorts of stuff... Especially appliances, plumbing fixtures and light fixtures. I make them 'as I go' while specifying, and save them by CSI division and manufacturer. I'll have to post those some day to the depository... I just hate to put anything up that has bugs or problems... Sometimes it takes me a while to 'clean up my messes' (sloppy interfaces, un-needed parameters, etc.). I gotta' do that. Actually, I need to go update my Door GDL's I've already posted.. lots of little tweaks and improvements have been made on those over the last few months.

I have different 'levels' of detail I go into depending on the project, but the ones I had you look at are fairly typical. They're not cheap, though... I spent 400 hours on the Smart's project, and probably 300 of that was Archicad time... although that probably includes 100 hours of design development, too. Have to have a comfortable work station.

Ignacio, I know you're an Archicad hotshot, so your kind words mean a lot to me... !Muchas Gracias, Amigo!

Let us know how the teaching gig goes... I'd really like to try that, too! That's a big commitment - you're a generous man.

Finally, my Mentor, Paul Bleck once told me, "Good drawings get respect." That is sooo true. It's worth it to produce accurate, detailed, artfully composed drawings. You get better buildings from them.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Very well said Dave; may I quote?

Dave wrote:
Ignacio,

Wow.. Thanks. I'm a little embarrassed! Feel free to post excerpts from the Smart Residence project here, if you like. I still need to get my sea legs for posting images on this forum (I'm trying to hit a deadline this week, so limited time).

Your comment regarding a mature BIM software package is spot on. Archicad has made my CD's 1000 times better than the old days with pencils or 2D CAD. I'll bet we could coax the same performance from other packages, but for myself, Archicad definitely makes sense and communicates 100% with my 'construction worker brain'. You're right.. what you see on those drawings would not be possible without fully modeling the building. I have pictures of the Smart's finished project on my 'Projects' page... It came out EXACTLY as illustrated in the CD's, except for minor changes we made during construction by choice (not necessity).

Every once in a while I'll get a call from a contractor (especially framers and foundation guys) and they'll say "These are the tightest drawings I've ever seen" which really makes my day, of course. They love seeing all the beams, joists, ductwork, etc. right on the sections, everything thought-out, figured out, no guesswork. I'm not trying to boast; rather, that's the power this software gives us. Particularly sections; Framers LOVE sections. It's not unusual for me to provide a dozen full building sections in a set, and it's effortless if you have a well-developed model. Sometimes, builders I've worked with previously (and thus know what is possible) will call me up and ask for sections at certain areas they don't quite 'see' clearly, and I'll whip them right up within minutes, and send it to their PDA on the jobsite... They swear it's magic (and I don't tell them it ain't ). The goodwill this generates with your builders is PRICELESS. I get jobs through builders frequently.

On the flip side, you need to be really careful to watch yourself.. The biggest danger is getting 'cocky' and thinking you've got all the loose ends covered. I avoid that by using as few 2D edits as possible., and working in the 3D window a lot. You have to let the model create the drawings as entirely as you can. I approach the project as if I'm actually building it in real life, as much as possible.

My instinct leads me to believe that I'm utilizing the software the way it's creator intended... The guy / gal or group that wrote the core code of this software are some truly amazing minds... my hat's off to them!

All my sections, elevations, interiors, etc. are fully automated model views. They update true as Mom and Apple Pie with every change to the model. Ditto for schedules, lists, etc.. all are fully integrated.

I draw the details in 2D, but they're 'pulled' from sections cut from the model via copy-and-paste. If changes occur, I just repeat the copy-and-paste, group the resulting entities, then slide it over the detail and check for discrepancies or required changes. You just have to be sure to check every affected detail (usually not too tough). Those are about the only thing not 'fully automated'. I know they could be, but I haven't really seen how I'd profit from that... the way I do it is pretty easy. And I like the details to be easy to edit quickly and globally.

For newer users: LEARN TO WRITE GDL. Almost every object in those sets is at least partialy, if not completely, homegrown. I have scads of GDL's for all sorts of stuff... Especially appliances, plumbing fixtures and light fixtures. I make them 'as I go' while specifying, and save them by CSI division and manufacturer. I'll have to post those some day to the depository... I just hate to put anything up that has bugs or problems... Sometimes it takes me a while to 'clean up my messes' (sloppy interfaces, un-needed parameters, etc.). I gotta' do that. Actually, I need to go update my Door GDL's I've already posted.. lots of little tweaks and improvements have been made on those over the last few months.

I have different 'levels' of detail I go into depending on the project, but the ones I had you look at are fairly typical. They're not cheap, though... I spent 400 hours on the Smart's project, and probably 300 of that was Archicad time... although that probably includes 100 hours of design development, too. Have to have a comfortable work station.

Ignacio, I know you're an Archicad hotshot, so your kind words mean a lot to me... !Muchas Gracias, Amigo!

Let us know how the teaching gig goes... I'd really like to try that, too! That's a big commitment - you're a generous man.

Finally, my Mentor, Paul Bleck once told me, "Good drawings get respect." That is sooo true. It's worth it to produce accurate, detailed, artfully composed drawings. You get better buildings from them.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave, I visited your web-site and looked at the Smart Residence drawings. As Ignasio said, the are amazing! The level of detail and attention is impressive! Congratulations!