Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Shadows from objects in hidden layers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to make a hidden object still project shadow? Is it possible, if you cut with a plane, make the lost part or your model still project shadow? How do I do? I want hidden line, (or own/proper colors-you say in english version?) in 3d document output.

Thanks,

Fuintur
7 REPLIES 7
Aussie John
Newcomer
I cant help too much but there is a setting in lightworks where a material can be set as a "lightcatcher" or something like that. I havent used it for a while and I dont have Archicad with me. From memory it will do what you want.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have never used lightworks - I will if needed- but isn't it for rendering? I don't mean shadows in rendering! Does it work in analytical modes?

Maybe this is not the appropriate section of the forum... :s
Aussie John
Newcomer
AFAIK is only for renders sorry
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
What does AFAIK mean?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Fuintur,
What does AFAIK mean?
Its an acronym for "As Far As I Know".
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't know, shame on me.

Do you know better than him, my neighbouring portuguese?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fuintur,
Fuintur wrote:
Is it possible to make a hidden object still project shadow?
Depends on what you mean with "hidden"... If its in a hidden layer or out of a selection box, then the answer is no.
On the other hand, as John well pointed, there is a special lightwork material called "Shadowcatcher" that might do what you want... it is beautifully described by our friend Dwight Atkinson in his great book here.
Fuintur wrote:
Is it possible, if you cut with a plane, make the lost part or your model still project shadow? How do I do?
Again... I don't think so. Shadows are build with just the geometry within the 3d window.
Fuintur wrote:
I want hidden line, (or own/proper colors-you say in english version?) in 3d document output.
Can you post a screen shot of what you are trying to achieve?

HTH. (Hope This Helps )