BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall attribute basics

Anonymous
Not applicable
arrggh, slowly getting to grips with this software but finding it hugely anti-intuitive.

Drawing walls, I can find fields to adjust every single possible attribute imaginable apart from the actual length of the thing! Clearly I am stupid (or this interface is).

Where is this field? How can I drag to extend or alter the length of a wall numerically?

Thankyou.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Richard,

From your background of using Illustrator, of course you are going to find that ArchiCAD works slightly differently. ArchiCAD is a pretty complicated program and is difficult to master just by trial and error. To save yourself heaps of time (and your sanity!) get a regular user to show you the basics, rather than trying to guess. Also work your way through the Interactive Training Guides here, as these will answer many basic questions.

The length isn't a parameter you will find in the settings dialog box. Your problem is that you probably haven't turned on the tracker, as this displays the length of the element on plan and allows you to easily change it. Turn it on using the button circled at the top.

Select the node at one end of the wall, then simply enter the length and hit return.

Also, please take the time to add your ArchiCAD version, operating system, and basic computer specs to your signature as this will help people answer your questions quicker and more accurately.

Good luck!
Tracker_button.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
If you miss the mark for any reason when creating an element, delete and redraw - it is usually faster. Editing is tedious and prone to error.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

thankyou for this timely answer. I can wipe the forehead scuffs from the screen and continue! Sig changed as suggested.

My brain is poorly wired for the teaching style in the interactive guide, so I have gone for my usual 'leap in and do a job' strategy. Fingers crossed...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
If you miss the mark for any reason when creating an element, delete and redraw - it is usually faster. Editing is tedious and prone to error.
This tallies with the experience so far. It encourages a deliberate approach, but more plasticity would be nice.
Learn and get certified!