BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Views through more than one layer of glass

Anonymous
Not applicable
One layer of glass in archiCAD can be transparent, However I can find no way to see through more layers. For sun or the views. Is there a way to achieve this using ArchiCAD or can it only be achieved with other software?
Thanks,
12 REPLIES 12
Dwight
Newcomer
Switch rendering method to "best" [Photorendering Settings]
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure, but i think the problem mentioned in the O.P. occurs in the 3D window where two transparent objects overlap. I've been encountering this regularly and haven't been able to pin down the responsible settings. I also use VBE and when it occurs, the problem seems to transfer to VBE files.
In the attached image (from 3D window, rendering with openGL), i have a semi-transparent water texture to the pool and a transparent setting (no texture) to surrounding glazed pool fence; when viewing through fence towards pool, it seems that not only water texture, but also water 'object' is not visible.
transparency.jpg
Erika Epstein
Booster
multiple layers of glass to see through...reminds me of Jacque Tati's Playtime
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kombibob,

Did you see Dwight's post? Set Photorender >Method to "Best"

Method controls the reflectivity and transparency in Photorenders.
At the lowest setting = no transparency & no reflectance, at highest (Best) not only can you see through many transparent objects, but reflectance is maxed out.
Try it with each of the settings, it will help your render quickly when desired or accurately when needed. By the way, for a render this small you should set antialias a little higher, the moires are distracting, even for a scene test.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
snap,

i did see dwight's post, however it would seem to relate to renderings.

the image i attached is from the 3d window (although with textures turned on). i have done trial renders of the image with both the internal rendering engine and lightworks engine and the water texture is visible through the transparent elements of the pool fence. This doesn't seem to be an issue. In any case, we are using mainly artlantis for rendering and not had any issues such as this.

The texture not appearing through other [transparent/translucent] elements is an annoyance only in the context of the 3d window, however my main problem is that sometimes it seems to transfer to output when using VBE (see previous post archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=147816#147816) and i don't understand if/where it can be addressed.

rob
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all. However, no one appears to have THE ANSWER yet, short of Photoshop-ing. Frustrating as that may be. I look forward to more thoughts and ideas from the ArchiCAD community.
Paul
Dwight
Newcomer
While testing your proposition, I did momentarily encounter the block-the-water issue.

But here is an example of many overlaid, partially transparent textures that seem to work.
overlapping textures.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Barry Kelly
It hasn't been solved in version 13 either.
This is just a 3D OpenGL view.
The glass gate on the left is identical to the one on the right.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid this?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
And here is a view from the other end looking through identical windows.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!