Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Publishing Drawings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could I ask again how you guys manage the process of publishing and issuing drawings? This is a question I posed in a previous post as a side issue to the main topic, so nobody answered this specifically.

What I'm curious to know is which of the following methods to most practices use when issuing a set of drawings to a consultant, contractor or client?

a) Publish from the model every time and send the outgoing files to a unique folder recording the party to whom the drawings were issued, or

b) Retrieve the set of drawings from a folder in which the current set is stored, or

c) Some other method?
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Depends which set of drawing you want to send to the consultant: a specific already published set, or one that reflects the current state of the drawings.

I find it easier to publish to a spool folder on my desktop and then move the folder of the published set with the date added to the name into the appropriate folder : 'HVAC to'> HVAC background 090929.
Just one method.

Conversely some like to publish right to the folder the set will reside in for eternity. Too often end up sending a published set to the wrong folder.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
My methodology is to have PUBLISHER point only to the PROJECT MAIN FOLDER. The Hierarchy is built into publisher...

So... publisher points to 0803_JoesResidence

Inside Publisher
0803_Consultant
-0803_StructuralOUT
--0803_StructBASES-20090929

The last folder in this structure gets it's name constantly changed as new revisions are issued to consultants... The previous folder will remain on you hard drive and the new folder will be CREATED as publisher goes to work.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks Duane, I'll try that.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
We, too, publish each set sent to whoever in a separate folder.
We of course also have sets at important points in the project such as building permit docs etc.
Also we preserve any such files sent or published.
Just last week I had to find what data we sent to a consultant 2 years ago about a project that is being built right now because someone messed up something and finger pointing is going on.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27