Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Can you install EDU and commercial version at the same time?

stefan
Expert
I have a (legal) commercial ArchiCAD 12 with protection dongle, but I am currently researcher and teacher, where I use an EDU version.

However, I want to learn about the EcoDesigner add-on. I have requested an EDU version and have the installation for EcoDesigner, which is an EDU version. It refuses to run in my regular version (apart from plugging out the dongle and running both in demo).

Should I also install an EDU version on my machine to use EDU plugins? And do I have to remove my commercial version? I was informed you can not install both on the same machine.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
4 REPLIES 4
Gorazd
Booster
You can have both on the same computer, they just have to be installed in separate folders. I have temporarily renamed ArchiCAD 12 (commercial) folder to something like aaaaa, instaled Edu version in folder Archicad EDU and renamed aaaaa back to ArchiCAD 12. It works for me both on my mac and pc.
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Eduardo Rolon
I have done the same as Gorazd. In my Macbook I have one folder named AC12 and the other named AC12 Edu.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

stefan
Expert
Can you turn an EDU into commercial and back by simply moving the education.lic file?

I tried to activate my temporary license and (on Snow Leopard) the file got corrupted. So I removed it and to my surprise the EDU intall behaved like the regular one, asking for the dongle.

I ask this since I could control my installation more easily as to have only one version to maintain (well, apart from the Add-ons which are also license-dependent).
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
stefan
Expert
I just tried and it seems to work.

And I'm not doing anything illegal, since I own licences for both. Only the add-ons are only licensed for either EDU or commercial.

I wanted to avoid maintaining two installs (libraries, updates, templates etc...).

My corrupted license is a "known bug" with Snow Leopard. Needed to re-install and use the final serial directly instead of "re-activate".
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book