Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

straight line for swing door

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to show existing doors with a straight line for the swing (see image)
What’s the best way of doing this with the standard AC10 library?
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

I agree with Vistasp, that indeed there are some offices and builders that use this convention. And they must not be ignored.

But in the other hand, I think the straight line for door opening is a dusty remain of the handmade drawing era.

At that time (Oh God! The dark ages), it was much more easy and quick to represent a door swing with a straight line than with an arc.

So... I guess that as time goes by the tendence is that it will become an useless feature.

My 2 cents.
vistasp
Advisor
Braza wrote:
... it was much more easy and quick to represent a door swing with a straight line than with an arc.
I absolutely refused to use the straight line swing in the drawing-board days. Always used those plastic stencils for a "proper" curved swing
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
vistasp wrote:
I absolutely refused to use the straight line swing in the drawing-board days. Always used those plastic stencils for a "proper" curved swing
Me too... Even if I had to fix it 2 or more times with those squirty black ink pens!
kevin b
Contributor
But it's not just about whether its straight or curved, it's about pen color and linetype too. Why you should be forced to make all objects of a particular type have the same settings globally for a particular view, makes absolutely no sense. It's like telling you that all walls in a particular view need to be the same color, or have the same linetype...there's no need to make demo walls a different pen color or linetype than new walls.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
kevin wrote:
But it's not just about whether its straight or curved, it's about pen color and linetype too. Why you should be forced to make all objects of a particular type have the same settings globally for a particular view, makes absolutely no sense. It's like telling you that all walls in a particular view need to be the same color, or have the same linetype...there's no need to make demo walls a different pen color or linetype than new walls.
For-what-it's-worth, I did complain about this during beta: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=29810 -- so maybe we'll see this option in AC14
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Yes, thanks for catching that Laura. It looks like GS was at loss for what to stick in their new dialog box. The new MVO based attributes have great potential but must be applied following a clear logic.

The two basic tenants of that logic are 1) whether all objects with an MVO setting should look the same as each other, and 2) do these particular parameters need to change on a view-by-view basis. The answer to both with regard to door swings is NO and NO.

What I would love to see is a Level of Detail (LoD) MVO that all objects could reference, as an alternative to scale sensitivity.

And of course all objects need an override.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x