Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Snow Leopard

Erika Epstein
Booster
Just received notification that Snow Leopard is out on Friday.

This will be my first mac OS upgrade and I am wondering what is involved? Do I order it, or wait a month or more? Any tips?

Will I have to upgrade other software?
Go ahead, laugh at the newbie to mac
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
100 REPLIES 100
Rick Thompson
Expert
Hummm. here's a new font problem, one now seems missing. I still use a very old electrical part from 6.5, one being the smoke detector (the newer part uses Arial, so it is not AWOL. The font is missing that was there, and now I get 2 tall rectangles. I can type in a new font, and that fixes it, but unfortunately this little thing effects over 400 plns. I have no idea, but could a font have disappeared with Snow?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick wrote:
Hummm. here's a new font problem, one now seems missing. I still use a very old electrical part from 6.5, one being the smoke detector (the newer part uses Ariel, so it is not AWOL. The font is missing that was there, and now I get 2 tall rectangles. I can type in a new font, and that fixes it, but unfortunately this little thing effects over 400 plns. I have no idea, but could a font have disappeared with Snow?
Rick, I have the same problem with all my dimensions. All the numbers are replaced by squares! The font that is used is now placed between brackets(e.g. [Arial something...]) an it seems that it cannot be used or is missing. Same happens with many fonts in ArchiCAD. There are between brackets and you cannot use them.

Fortunately no other problems using ArchiCAD running SL.
Pantelis Ioannidis - MSc Architect
PLAN.13 Design Engineers
http://www.plan13.gr
AC12 | AC SE2009 | Artlantis Studio 2 |
Mac OS 10.6
Karl Ottenstein
I had the square-replacement and [font in brackets] thing when moving from Windows to Mac in older versions of AC and OS X, as instead of just Arial, AC Windows had Arial Western ... and it turned into Arial Eastern European or some weird thing. I had to edit each element of placed text. Once it was OK on Mac, it went back and forth with windows fine.

The other time I had squares instead of text was with a MrHand font that was old - not sure what changed in the True Type font world, but it was all squares on Mac. I downloaded an updated copy of the font and all was fine. Something to do with the original font was considered a 'symbol' font and the new one was text. Don't know / remember.

Maybe one of these things applies to your situation...?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Your first situation applies to me. In Windows AC I used "Arial Greek sth" and now on Mac OS 10.6 AC it changed in "Arial Eastern sth" in brackets. As I see, my only way to continue is to replace all dimension numbers with a new font type.

Unfortunately, this happens from the transition from Windows XP to Mac OS 10.6. I didn't have such problems from Windows XP to Mac OS 10.5.
Pantelis Ioannidis - MSc Architect
PLAN.13 Design Engineers
http://www.plan13.gr
AC12 | AC SE2009 | Artlantis Studio 2 |
Mac OS 10.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a similar thing happening now that Archicad will open! Our drawing Masters were set up in Autocad using a Windows font called Tahoma for some of the text. Because I have never loaded this font onto my system, up to Leopard the Mac used to substitute another font, but in Snow Leopard this doesn't happen and I get the rows of rectangles that others have described. Not a serious problem for me, except that I will have to change the font on any old projects which come back to life.

Roger
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a student and I've finally donwloads the AC12 version for student.
I've a macbook with Snowleopard and AC12 it's crashing every time..so I tried to find the fonts that may affect it but my mac I don't have any of the 7!
I've tried to erase some of the new fonts I've installed by myself but AC12 still crashes!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Having a similar problem in 10.6 using AC12, some of the fonts are missing from the available list. Ones in use that are missing now appear in brackets. I checked the FontBook and they are there and working.
Hope someone fixes this one!
Rick Thompson
Expert
Ralph wrote:
Rick wrote:
I had some real bad sluggishness when I first installed Leopard.
This is normal. After installing Leopard, Spotlight kicks in to reindex your hard drive. This can take a while, and meantime the computer seems slightly sluggish (because it's constantly working in the background). Watch the Spotlight icon in the top right-hand corner - a dot will flash in the centre while it is reindexing.
I am thinking it's not Spotlight at this time. I think it is AC13 not liking something. I have 3 plns open and one is sluggish, the other 2 are fine. There is really not that much different between the 3, but I assume something is. Zooming brings up the stop watch, extending a dimension is delayed.. etc. ?????
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
two AC13 files open at once seems to be working great for me in snow leopard. I haven't tried three tho.
I haven't looked into it, but does AC13 make use of Apple's grand central dispatch etc?
Rick Thompson
Expert
I typically have 3 or 4 open, and it works find. But, a few plns seem to cause a slow down for some reason, or something is going on. Same library, and everything else as my plns are very standardize. Weird.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display