Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

gears?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I just got the student license and was trying to create a gear. I started to realize I may have the wrong software. Is Archicad useful for making gears or mechanical type drawings. I'd like to work on prototyping my ideas.

Thanks,
Tre
23 REPLIES 23
Dwight
Newcomer
And a VR object lets you pan all around.

See this:

gear gets gyroscopic gyration, gravity notwithstanding
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And here's the object with GDL code intact.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Less than five minutes
For you Dwight!!
Dwight
Newcomer
Does this look difficult?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the lesson. I downloaded the zip file and will give it a thorough look by Friday.

Now that it has been confirmed that Ac can in fact create gears. Let's look at the next step.

How easy is it vs. the cost of purchasing another program that specifically offers this type of cad. If I remember correctly Vectorworks offers software for around $1900, not in my price range!
Dwight
Newcomer
There seems to be some confusion:

if you merely want to draw some gears, I am sure there are plenty of gear symbols in dwg or dxf format hanging around.....

If you want mechanically accurate gears , some kind of mechanical engineering design software is your answer. These provide animations where the drive parts actually motivate other parts......

AND: there are many modelling programs cheaper and more adaptable than Archicad......
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Did you consider searching Google?
I find that there are so many applications that are using the Archi - CAD convention.

There MUST be a GearCAD.

Sure enough :

frigging GearCAD!!!!!!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I get emails from the nice people at Solidworks all the time. Not much of an idea about features or cost, but I'm sure they would have something to suit you.

note to self...unsubscribe from solidworks email list
Dwight
Newcomer
s2art wrote:

note to self...unsubscribe from solidworks email list
Now that it has been proven that Archicad can make gears.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
The drawings don't have to be that accurate right now. I am just doing some planning for the future.