BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Data Exchange between ArchiCAD and Civil 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everybody,

I work with a civil engineering firm in Tucson and we have been using Civil 3D for a few years now.

A lot of the architects we have worked with use Revit so we have been getting familiar with the interaction between Revit and Civil 3D, and giving presentations to architects to show them our Civil 3D capabilities.

Yesterday we gave a presentation to a local architect and they are using ArchiCAD, and are very advanced in BIM technology.

We would like to learn more about bringing ArchiCAD building models into our site model, and also what we can do to provide a site model that can be brought into an ArchiCAD building model.

Any suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks, Bob
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can import/export from both Archicad and Revit using IFC or 3D DWG.

IFC will retain all the data and be editable.

3D DWG does not retain all the data; you get a 3D model. This option is often fine for seeing how the two models will work together. It is a much smaller model in terms of memory usage.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
We discussed IFC vs DWG formats a little with the architect we met with yesterday.

As you mention, IFC would be the desired format.
You mention Revit, which would be building information, but what about the site information?

We are using AutoCAD Civil 3D and I'm having a hard time finding information on exporting an IFC file from our Civil 3D DWG files.

Have you, or anybody else, been receiving IFC files from a civil engineer that is converting an AutoCAD Civil 3D DWG file to an IFC file?
Erika Epstein
Booster
IF your current program doesn't have an IFC translator, than you will have to switch to a program that does. In the long-run, that is the smart move to make IMO.

In the mean time, you will have to make do with 3D DWG.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!