Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall Niche

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a thick composite wall (brick+frame) that I am trying to place a niche into (shallow recess). I used the empty window and modified the reveal settings and it is displayed in the plan appropriately, but the model shows the full empty opening. I then used the solid elements ops. to "niche" out the wall but the operator object has to be hidden in a hidden layer to display in the model, then it does not show up in the plan. Is there a method to do this operation without having to "doctor-up" the plan and hide layers. Any suggestion is most appreciated.

–Javier
AC11 on Mac G5 + OS10.4.11

Picture 2.png
10 REPLIES 10
Erich
Contributor
Yes, use the window tool but select that "Wall Niche Symbol 11" instead of a window.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Where exactly is the "wall niche symbol 11"?. I cant seem to find it.

Thanks,
Anonymous
Not applicable
it's in 04 Masonry 11\Wall Extras 11

Hope that helps.
Erich
Contributor
Also don't forget you can search the loaded libraries. The attached example is AC 12 but AC 11 worked very similarly.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can this wall niche have a glass surface? Does the wall niche object support it directly?
Barry Kelly
famadorian wrote:
Can this wall niche have a glass surface? Does the wall niche object support it directly?
You mean like a window?

You can change the material of the niche but the sides will be the same as the back.
There also seems to be a bit of a bug with the niche materials.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59349

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, like a window.
Barry Kelly
I was attempting humour in that if you wanted a glass niche it would just be a window.

You can add a glass surface material to your niche but it will be the side and rear surfaces.
If you just want a glass rear surface you will need to model in a small wall (or maybe better as a tall skinny slab so walls don't try to trim each other).

If you want a niche with a window frame in the opening then you will need to use a window and add a wall behind (or again a tall skinny slab).

If I am off the mark can you show an image of what you are trying to achieve?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
On the thought of using a SOE, I've used a slab with a material defined as "Air" to create a basic flat roof before. In 3D, the SOE is transparent while in plan the edges of the "Air" slab are drawn. It doesn't show correctly in section though as you'll have a line between the "Air" and the surrounding space but it's easy enough to modify your layer combinations for it to work.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660