Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Artlantis versus Cinema 4D

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are several topics about that but I did not really found a real comparison between the 2 render software.
I am not talking about cost or modeling capability, exclusively about rendering. So:
1. Archicad interaction (update, materials,?)
2. Easiness to learn
3. Easiness to use
4. Material library for architecture (default library, free stuff...)
5. Quality of rendering
6. Speed of rendering
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Philippe wrote:
There are several topics about that but I did not really found a real comparison between the 2 render software.
I am not talking about cost or modeling capability, exclusively about rendering. So:
2. Easiness to learn
3. Easiness to use
5. Quality of rendering
6. Speed of rendering
then, install both and check out
These two are very different . . . .

I vote for maxwell 2
They speeeeeeeed it up, easiest to learn,3 clikcs and u have ready scene for rendering, hunderds of materials which where build by users and now it is possible to import it directly to render via internet directly from program,FREEEEE materials ready to use, best QuialiTy, improoved speeed.
When u see results in maxwell, these two dont have chance

Only problem with maxwell was speeed (noise renderings)
Now with ver.2 these are history. U can use IES lights . . . . . . . etc etc
U will never get results like maxwell in artlanits and cinema

http://www.maxwellrender.com/version2/index.html
maxwell2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:

then, install both and check out
These two are very different . . . .

I vote for maxwell 2

http://www.maxwellrender.com/version2/index.html
thanks about maxwell

about testing both, I don't think newbies are the best experts
I expect experienced users to help, not a three click opinion and I do not have 3 months free to go randomly inside 2 (or 3) program's testing
owen
Newcomer
I have not used Artlantis in a very long time, but i still think it is the easier of the two to get up to speed with quickly, that is what it is known for.
Philippe wrote:
ArchiCAD<>Cinema4D workflow for materials is very good IMO. There is an Architecture Bundle containing an Exchange plugin which maps your Cinema materials to ArchiCAD materials so further updates to the geometry do not need to be retextured. The official ArchiCAD-side plugin has been broken for quite a while now (functionality is worse than an older version) but there is a great replacement created by dinnye which works really well (even better than the old one i think). Maxon and Graphisoft are currently testing a new plugin but from all reports it is still not doing what people want it to do for rendering and it wont work with CInema 10.5 which a lot of people are still using (not an issue if you are yet to buy C4D)
Philippe wrote:
2. Easiness to learn
I think it is fairly easy to learn - you can get good results quickly, although it is also incredibly powerful so the learning potential is i think much greater (longer) than Artlantis. I would also suggest getting the VRay plugin - rendering with this is more intuitive IMO as it is more physically correct so you can work a bit more photographically, less need to fake things.
Philippe wrote:
3. Easiness to use
Great UI in my opinion. Although it is a very powerful program meaning there is a lot of commands, tools etc the variable layouts (preset) put everything you need for various working modes (rendering, modelling, animation, etc) where they are easy to identify and reach. It looks good too.
Philippe wrote:
The Architecture Bundle comes with some materials, but there is a huge amount of user-created materials out there - both for the built-in render engines and the VRay plugin. I would imagine there is much more available than for Artlantis, simply because of the larger user base.
Philippe wrote:
5. Quality of rendering
Get the Vray plugin. Vray is the industry standard basically (C4D and Max) and there is a huge amount of material (tuts, mats, etc) available for it. It is intuitive IMO and the quality potential really is amazing. Maxwell might be better potentially but it comes at an expense (speed)
Philippe wrote:
6. Speed of rendering
Its fast. I cannot compare with the latest native C4D engines but the Vray plugin is really, really fast if set up correctly (although the flip side is the quality potential means wrong settings can also blow times out alot). It would be very interesting to see some benchmarks comparing Artlantis and VRayforC4D on the same scene as the former has always been known for being quite a fast renderer (as far as i remember). I don't know of any such benchmarks .. maybe a little project for this forum?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks owen
Anybody having a recent experience into both programs?
It seemed to me that many skilled users were talking about both programs in this forum
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm experiencing it right now Philippe Reymond. What should I do? Please help.