Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO not playing nice w/ curved wall and complex profile beam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want a curved wall trimmed at the top to a curved roof. I made the "roof" with a complex profile beam. I tried using SEO to subtract and extrude upwards, but nothing happened. Until I drag the wall to one side as an experiment (see attachment). What's up with that?

Maybe I should be turning the beam into a mesh, then use mesh-to-roof. What do you all suggest? (btw, I've never used mesh-to-roof and don't really know how to turn the beam into a mesh!).

(P.S. Can anyone point me to instructions on embedding my attachments into my post so they don't say "download"? Thank you for the help.)
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
It works if the wall is a slab.

As for attaching images, See under Add an Attachment the permitted files.
PDF are only allowed as documents while JPEG can be attached as images.

Also, just to be safe., write to the Forum Moderator and ask him to list the forbidden words.
SEO.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Another way to do this would be to hide a conventional roof inside the complex profile beam/roof and use that to trim the top of the wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or if they are both walls you can SEO.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dwight
Newcomer
It is the priorities setting, isn't it?
Dwight Atkinson
Barry Kelly
Yes wall priorities come into play.

If a vertical wall has a higher priority than the horizontal complex profile wall then it will automatically trim a section of that horizontal wall away.
You can see this cut out section if you select in it 3D.
Because that section of the wall is missing then it can't be used in a solid element operation because there is nothing to cut with.

Make sure the horizontal (complex profile) wall has a higher priority.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the great, and easy, fix. I made the "roofs" with the Wall tool and SEO works like a charm.

So far I have the walls and "roofs" on the same layer, so layer priorities hasn't been an issue. But I appreciate your bringing it up as it might have gotten in there and left me puzzled again.

I see where I can "Save As" on my Mac in Preview to make a jpg or png file for attachments.

You guys are the best!
Barry Kelly
Doug wrote:
So far I have the walls and "roofs" on the same layer, so layer priorities hasn't been an issue. But I appreciate your bringing it up as it might have gotten in there and left me puzzled again.
Yes layers have priorities but don't forget individual walls do as well.

Barry.
wall_priority.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11