Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Quick way to snap to a point between two objects/points...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone, just wanted some advice on a fairly simple procedure that I am always finding myself having to find a work-around to do on the go.

Take a look at this pic, common scenario!
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1325/archicadhelp.png

Say I wanted to put a door into that section of wall, at exactly half way between the section created by the adjoining walls. Since the half/division marker is only created for the entire length of wall, previously I would have to either draw a line between the two points and snap to the line's half way point, or measure the distance, divide by two, and go off one of the two points.

What is the quickest/easiest way to get a snap-point along a straight line/wall, exactly half way between two objects that connect to that line/wall?

Much appreciated people
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
hayaku:

The fastest method is to use the Special Snap Points constraint. This can be assigned a shortcut key, so all you need to do is hit the shortcut key, click on the two end points, and the Special Snap Points appear, and then select the point you want and the wall will be started at that point (if the Snap Points is set to half, the wall will be started at that point, as there is no other point to select). It is helpful to have the Control Box palette visible to use this function. You can also use the Control Box palette to have the Special Snap Points appear along the the entire element, or between intersecting elements (like the two walls in your illustration.

For more information with images, go to Help > ArchiCAD Help, when your browser opens click on the "Search" tab, and input "Special Snap Points" in the search box, in the results list "Special Snap Points" and "Control Box" will lead to detailed information.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks David, exactly what I wanted to know. This seems to allow me to draw a line between two points, and have a centre point allocated to the middle of that line. Essentially what I was doing already with the Line tool as a work around except that this deletes itself when done

Now have it assigned to Ctl+Alt+S and it will get a good work out im sure!
Barry Kelly
hayaku wrote:
Since the half/division marker is only created for the entire length of wall, previously I would have to either draw a line between the two points and snap to the line's half way point, or measure the distance, divide by two, and go off one of the two points.
The half/section marker has three modes.
Off.
Entire length.
Between intersection.

You just have to select the mode for between intersections.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11