BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions?

Anonymous
Not applicable
In reviewing the Archicad 13 Collaboration Guide, I cannot locate any sections that explain how to share a PLN... and so on.

I have figured out most of TW2's functionality via web seminars and trial/error. But what is concerning me is the lack of documentation on how-to and best practice.

For example, once the PLN is converted to a shared project via BIM Server, where is the shared file located? And is it necessary to keep the original PLN? In testing, we deleted the original PLN and the shared connection still functioned, but I have nothing to tell me that I am right or wrong.

Please help. Thank you.

Christopher Humes
Richmond, VA USA
14 REPLIES 14
Something that is not clear to me is that when I open the hosts file in Notepad (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) it appearsears to be a sample of how a HOST file looks. Is this Notepad window actually the place to edit someting?

Obviously a static IP address on your router is best, however, if you dont have one it is not that big a deal to send out a new link to the BIM server if it is only going to change once every few months or so.

The dynamic IP address that Comcast issues (for example) can not be called static IP address but they don't change very often.

Port Forwarding is what needs to be configured if you have a static IP address or not right?

I don't know how to do that but it doesn't seem like it would take much to give step-by-step instructions.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
Something that is not clear to me is that when I open the hosts file in Notepad (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) it appearsears to be a sample of how a HOST file looks. Is this Notepad window actually the place to edit someting?

This may be of some help.
http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/static.ip.address.php
Hi Steve,

Yes, the article that you link to gives directions for assigning a static local address to a machine. This is useful in all cases, but it is essential if you are going to edit the hosts file in order to point a domain name locally to a particular machine... if the machine were dynamically assigned an IP address, then local access would break...in the specific scenario where local access requires editing the hosts file due to concurrent internet access. (As noted in the wiki article, this may not always be required depending on a number of factors.)

Yes, the notepad window contents that you see is not a sample ... it IS the hosts file. The first group of lines is just documentation - anything after a "#" symbol is a comment and is ignored during processing of the file. Edit carefully.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thanks Karl.

This will be a sweet victory when I finally get it up and running

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does not make it clear anywhere in the ArchiCAD 13 documentation that the original project file is obsolete once a project is shared. It's going to affect how we file our projects and is a quite alien and new process that even long term users of ArchiCAD won't find intuitive or obvious. They really should make it much clearer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!
I think it will be helpful if somebody can specify with examples the path of a general TW2 installed on a single computer in a local network.
Like C:/Projects.....and so on.
Thanks
Learn and get certified!