BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

show only windows in elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to show only windows in elevation without showing walls? I'm trying to do a window layout for a complicated facade to show window relationships and the wall lines are confusing things.... thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
Windows are hosted in walls, so no walls, no windows. You can, however, create a new pen set that has white as the color for all of the pens assigned to your walls. Call it the 'windows only' pen set or something. If you've been careful with your pen assignments, these should be different pens than the ones you used for windows and I believe you'll get what you want.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl! How would I do this if I want to have regular elevations as well as window elevations? If I assign the exterior walls to have an outline pen of white, then they will be white in all the regular elevations as well. Can I assign a specific pen for a specific view?
Erika Epstein
Booster
Another approach would be to have a second separate elevation marker. This window elevation can be set to Drawing so you can delete the wall lines that you don't want.
Using a separate marker for this use will allow you to keep your regular elevation as you normally would.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks erika,

is that the same as copying and pasting the drawing so that instead of objects it becomes lines? If so, I was hoping for a way to keep the actual live windows in elevation so that it would update if they changed. So far I have done what was suggested above, assign a different penset to the layout where black lines are white so the outlines of the walls that the windows are in would disappear. This results in some irregularities with the outlines of the windows but I go back in and add lines. Not a perfect solution so far, but it's better...
Erika Epstein
Booster
I suggest it as an alternative approach. It's live in that at any time you can rebuild from model. You would still have to delete the non-window lines. You might even apply the new penset to this elevation. It could be easier to edit out the little bits that you still have trouble with.

Another thought is to place a masking fill to cover up all but the window.

Without seeing what specifically you are working on, it's hard to know what might work best. I'm just throwing out some alternatives.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!