Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Help! AC12 keeps crashing everytime i create a column!

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi,

i am having a big problem. i have been using AC12 for a while now, but its only recently tht it has crashed. Everytime i try to create a column in a particular spot, it crashes!

i have tried reinstalling it, and using system restore.

if anyone has any advice, i would be veryyy appreciative!

Thank you

Jalal
11 REPLIES 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
You said you are trying to 'create a column...in a certain spot".
Sounds like this may be the problem.
What do you mean by 'create a column' ?
What else 3-dimensionally is occurring at this spot?

Please add your OS and AC version to your profile.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi erika,

i have a set of 4 columns placed in series (spaced 450mm apart), but whenever i select them all and try to change their elevation to project zero, the program crashes (the mem usage under task manager keeps going higher at 50% cpu until it reaches 500Mb mem.. and then nothing happens)

Similarly, if i try to go to north elevation, and try to change the columns elevation height individually, everything is well until i get to the third or so column... and then it crashes again.

this is getting very distressing as i have a project due next week. a

thanks for ur reply.

Jalal

Win xp 32bit, 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb harddisk, 2Gb HD free, AC12
Anonymous
Not applicable
o.. and nothing in 3d, everything looks fine..
Erika Epstein
Booster
Jalal,
You are on the low end of memory at 2Gb; 4Gb min, is preferred. I doubt this is causing the problem at hand.

It could be one or two columns, not all 4 that are causing the problem. Are they exactly alike? If not perhaps there is a setting that is causing the problem.
Did you try replacing them?

Are these columns made with the column tool, Custom Profile, sloped or a library part ?

If replacing them doesn't work, post a screen shot of the columns' settings.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Ingolf
Advocate
Hello Jalal!

Are your Columns made by the Column Tool? What about deleting them and using another Tool to make the same Columns. The Wall Tool and the Object Tool (Basic Shapes) (and even the Slab Tool) can be used if the Columns are uncomplicated. Send an Image of the Columns it this don't work.
Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
PC/i7/W11/ArchiCAD 6.5-27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys for your help

I have attached a screenshot showing the settings of the column i am trying to duplicate in other locations along this wall.

Unfortunately, my issue has snowballed and now affects the stability of archicad as a whole.. even to a point where it will not open my original file - when this happens the toolbars at the top do not load fully and the 'busy' mouse pointer occurs indefinately (as it does when it crashes with all the other methods. (Note: although the backup files do usually load but crash shortly after).
I now just click the column tool on the left - and it freezes.

i have not had this problem before so i suspect my computer, or a necessary hotfix to archicad.

Erika, the columns are exactly alike.

Ingolf, the slab tool does seem to be a stable option.. but i have tried to keep going for an extended period to test this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
AMENDMENT:

Ingolf, the slab tool does seem to be a stable option.. but i have *not* tried to keep going for an extended period to test this.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Something may be off in the model if the crashes are getting worse. Have you tried a forward merge? Open a new instance of archicad using the default template. Merge your existing file into it. File>File special> Merge.
This may or may not work. But it could be worth trying.
Did you try deleting the current columns and putting in new ones?
Before you replace the columns work in the file, see if it is now stable.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
erika,

i have tried merging as you have described. It cannot display my 2nd story (yes, it crashes..).. and, once more, when i try to use the column tool it crashes.

for the meantime, i have been using the wall tool to create my columns/studs/posts. I seem to b able to edit individual existing columns, and although the wall tool takes a little longer, it has at least allowed me to continue with my project.

I do thank you for your assistance. If you have other suggestions ill be very happy to try them out.