BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CodeMeter Sticks

I was just informed by my local distributer that you can not mix code meters with the old dongles. Everyone using the server has to have the same kind of software protection devise.

Upgrades are not being shipped with the new code sticks. The new programs are. They have no code meter sticks to sell us at this time.
Also, I don't think the license borrowing features of ArchiCAD 13 are in the progam yet. We will have to wait for the next hot-fix to get that ?

Can a person order a new ArchiCAD 13 with a dongle instead of a code meter stick so they can log into a dongle server?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Reading through this and info on GS site, I'm confused!
Let me see if I got at least some of this somewhat right.
A Code meter key's primary function is for offices with keys that are multiple keys?

Hence, if an office person goes off site they take the Codemeter with them that has one of the multiple licenses assigned to it, with a time limit,
and the multiple key in the office now has temporarily one less "key" available to use/assign?

When set Codemeter time is up, the Codemeter "borrowed" license goes back on record as being assigned to main multiple key license for office use or others to reassign back to another Codemeter?
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, it sounds like there is a lot of confusion about this yet-to-be-released product.
At present we have a net dongle and a couple of standalone keys if a license needs to be taken out of the office.

The principle of being able to use legit licenses when employees need to work remotely sounds fantastic, but I too am a little unclear. I'd appreciate clarification on these items:

In order to share a lisence:
a. A network codemeter key can either distribute a license onto another (solo) codemeter key for taking out of the office. As many (solo) codemeter keys can be 'created' as there are net licenses available on the network codemeter key (also one has to buy all these (solo) codemeter keys!!).
OR
b. The network codemeter key can be accessed over the network and a license delivered electronically (no key hardware required on 'remote client').

Option b sounds the best, in that the transaction is completely electronic. Looking at the forum people seem to be getting their head around sharing TW2 files over the internet.

If I am working remotely, how can I obtain a license from the network codemeter key?
1. Can the electronic 'key' be emailed over the internet
and/or
2. can I take it home on my own electronic media (ipod, mem stick etc)
and/or
3. Is there an interface accessable over the internet to obtain a key? e.g. I'm at home and I'd like to work on a file. It's the weekend and no one is in the office. Can I grab a license remotely?

Finally, the lack backward compatibility is a worry for long time users of ArchiCAD (Codemeter will only support 10-12 AFTER a patch is released). Is it an option to keep a standalone WIBU key dongle in the office for older projects and then have the network codemeter dongle serving out all the other licenses? At lease then old files can be opened in their version if required!

Final aside: I don't know what other software uses codemeter dongles, but given all this confusion frankly I prefer the REVIT/ARTLANTIS model of activation of the internet. It would give GS a much better handle on how licenses are being used and give users a lot less confusion regarding the plethora of complex techniques to share licenses. But then I know they'd be some who might see it as an invasion of privacy...etc.
Karl Ottenstein
This topic is unfortunately going to be really confusing for offices that need to run older versions of ArchiCAD.

This Wiki article describes the key situation - WIBU vs Codemeter:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/ProtectionKey

Note that with a WIBU key (blue USB keyplug), you can run versions 6 through 13 (current).

Codemeter keys can currently ONLY run 13. As noted in that Wiki article, patches for 10, 11 and 12 are supposed to be released later this month that will allow them to be run with Codemeter. But, it sounds like there is no intention of supporting any earlier versions which will limit Codemeter users to the read/write capabilities (for older projects) listed here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions

This versioning thing won't matter to most firms. But, for a few, they will have no way of opening really old projects if they switch to codemeter.

I like rwallis' idea of giving firms an old WIBU key so that they can run older versions if necessary. That WIBU could be set to only run AC 9, for example, so that it could not be used as an extra license for current versions, thus being of limited risk/value to Graphisoft.

As far as mixing Codemeter and WIBU keys in the same network, I believe that only matters if you are using the network functionality of these keys - what has until now been called a 'network key', containing multiple licenses. Apparently the key server software cannot cope with having both devices on the same subnet.

What is still not clear to me is if an office has individual keys (single license - not network/multi-license) and they do not install, or otherwise disable the Wkserver functionality, then each key is a standalone, workstation device and I do not see why it should matter if there are both types of keys in the office.

Example case: as a consultant, I go to a firm to provide training and they want me to connect to their network to review one of their projects on the projector. I've got my WIBU key in my laptop (with wkserver disabled) and they have all Codemeter in their network. I don't think there should be a problem, but this isn't crystal clear in anything I've read yet.

Just as you can access a WIBU key over the internet, I believe that there will be a remote access for the Codemeter license. Haven't seen the details though, if so. (If you set up a VPN, you can access the key and all network resources as if you are in the office, so that's another way of getting at things remotely.)

The negatives of the Artlantis (Revit too?) method of internet activation/deactivation of licenses, which permits transferring a license to another computer are several. If you forget to deactivate a license at work before you go home, then you don't have a license. If the license server in France is down, or the internet is down, you cannot activate a license. If someone activates a license at home just before they go on a one month vacation, then you can't get that license back very easily (like a codemeter expiration). Most of these are things you just get used to, though. (Although there is one more: if you are running out the door, it is easy to grab the WIBU without turning your computer on. With Artlantis, you've got to boot up, run Artlantis, deactivate, quit, shut down.)

I'm sure clarity is on the horizon. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
PS. Just reading here:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/CodeMeter

and was surprised to see that while a codemeter key will work with AC 10 through 13 (after the patches for 10 through 12 are released) ... that license borrowing will ONLY work with 13. That seems like a problem for a lot of firms that will be finishing projects in 12 (or 11) while starting them in 13, yet who want the license borrowing feature.
Borrowable licenses are only available for ArchiCAD 13, MEP Modeler for ArchiCAD 13 and EcoDesigner for ArchiCAD 13. You can not run ArchiCAD 12 and earlier with a borrowed license.
I have a headache from reading all of the 'gotchas' on that page...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree Karl - way too many gotchas!

From the wiki:
#

CodeMeter "Act" (Soft) License Borrowing: The borrowed license is represented by a license file on your computer - this license file is specific to the computer and can not be transferred to another computer. This license type is recommended for laptop users who wish to travel without a physical hardware protection key.
#

CodeMeter "Key" License Borrowing: The license is borrowed into a physical CodeMeter hardware key. This is recommended for users who wish to take a license away to be used on their home (or any other) computer. The advantage of this compared to having a single-license hardware key is that loosing the key does not mean loosing the license, as borrowed licenses are automatically returned to the server after the expiration date.

I'm hoping there are some more details coming out soon on the "Act" system, seeing as we need to commit to one or other type! As it is computer specific how is it assigned - does the computer have to be in the office to get a key? lots of questions unanswered
As for the "key" option - it remains to see what the price of these new options are, and how much GS will charge for their (GS specific) codemeter dongles....
Learn and get certified!