Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 10 (I know old version but still need help)

Anonymous
Not applicable
The company I work for is still using AC10, Times are tough and the budget has not been there to upgrade the last few years. The problem we are having is that it is taking 30 to 40 min to open a file. I have no idea what is casing it to slow down, everything was going fine and then one day it just started taking longer and longer to open. I am not sure if it is a network issue or a hardware issue or our template or library file that is causing the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Ingolf
Advocate
Is this one particular file or all files?
Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
PC/i7/W11/ArchiCAD 6.5-27
Anonymous
Not applicable
All files, now we start all of our projects off of the same template so there may be a problem in the template file I am just not sure.
Ingolf
Advocate
Then begin with starting a file in another Template... if you have another?
Ingolf Sundfør, Bricklayer, Author of several Real Life Problem Solving Books for Archicaddicts in Norway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We only have 1 main template file that contains all of our start up information. I have been thinking about building a new one from scratch but currently do not have the time to redesign or spend on its building. I had hoped there might have been some setting that we have wrong that I could try before I commit to the time for a new template.
Ingolf
Advocate
What about the Default Template of AC 10...this is what you use?
Barry Kelly
lilDragon wrote:
The company I work for is still using AC10, Times are tough and the budget has not been there to upgrade the last few years. The problem we are having is that it is taking 30 to 40 min to open a file. I have no idea what is casing it to slow down, everything was going fine and then one day it just started taking longer and longer to open. I am not sure if it is a network issue or a hardware issue or our template or library file that is causing the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Is this on all machines or just yours?
If just yours then maybe it is something to do with the preference files.
They should be found here if you are on Windows.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Graphisoft\ArchiCAD 10.0.0 AUS R1

The red bits will be specific to your install.

I won't swear to it but I am pretty sure if you delete these they will regenerate themselves again.
You might have to set up Archicad again (work environment etc.).
Make a copy of these files somewhere first before you delete them so you can put them back if there are any problems.

Also do a search in these forums for prefences and slow files.
I am sure it has been written about before.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lilDragon wrote:
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Because this has simultaneously affected all the computers and projects in your office alike, I'd be inclined to look for a networking problem first. Do you have a stand-alone machine you could test a project on, i.e. one with no connection to the network or Internet? Save the project as an archive (with all the required libraries included) so you have no dependencies on remote resources, and use a local USB keyplug rather than a networked license.

If the project opens quickly again, you probably have a network problem. There are various steps you can take to isolate it, but let's see if this is likely to be the problem before going into more detail.
Ralph Wessel BArch