Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiTerra calculation trouble

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Firstly I want to thank Fabrizio from Cigraph for his swift and helpful answer for my other question. It's great to know that the product is supported so well.

So, Fabrizio, I have another problem for you . I want to calculate the cuts and fills of a plateau object I have placed on my terrain. I follow the procedure described in the user manual like this.
1. I select the terrain mesh.
2. I press calculate in the arciterra toolbox to update data for calculation.

3. When i look for the "ArchiTerra 30" -component list in my project, i cannot find it. I have two other lists: "Base (Architerra_DB)" and "Default (ArchiTerra_DB)". So I decide to use these.

Now i run into troubles:

When I select the mesh and list components, the result is an empty list. I suppose this would be ok, because there is no property objects bound to the mesh itself, and I think that calculation needs to list the OBJECTS created by ArchiTerra.

When I try to list a single plateau, the result is an empty list.

When i try to list everything (I do this by selecting nothing in the plan view and double clicking on the Base(Architerra_DB)-list), the result is an error message. It's in finnish, but the contents of the message suggest that 3D_document detector.gsm -object has incompatable variable types in master script line 4.

I'm a novice in GDL-coding, but to me this seems to mean that the APPLICATION_QUERY in 3D_Document detector doesn't get a string type result in the variable "type".

I know this is very hard to debug without the actual file, but could someone suggest what is going on, and how could i fix things and produce calculation lists.

I would also like to note that my terrain is rather complex, and i've used several painter and building objects. Only one plateau, though.
7 REPLIES 7
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

and here I am... again!
Unfortunately I discovered this bug just yesterday!!!
You are right: the trouble is on that macro.
Unfortunately I need some more time to fix it (tomorrow I will leave Venice for a long trip to Kiev and then to Germany and I will come back just for the end of the next week).
What I can suggest you, for the moment, is the following workaround:
1. Open the 3D_document detector macro
2. comment anything
3. save the modification

this will cause a little trouble (the reason because that macro has been added): you wont see neither the contour lines or the coloured area in your 3D Documents (please pay attention I'm talking about 3D Documents not 3D Views) but you will be able to get the needed calculation...

ASAP I will come back to office I will fix the trouble...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Samppa,

please change the "guilty" Master Script with the following one:

n=APPLICATION_QUERY("document_feature", "view_direction", type)

GLOB_USER_1=0
IF VARTYPE (type)=2 THEN
IF type="free" THEN GLOB_USER_1=1
ENDIF

To tell you the truth I have a feeling there is a bug related to that application_query I will ask GS next week.
In any case this new script solves any trouble.

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!

This modification fixes the problem and I can now produce lists.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again,

I have managed to produce lists, but I think something must have gone wrong here.

Firstly I notice that the lists and the notification box seem to be translated into spanish. I'm on a finnish system. Is this something that can be modified? I'd rather read them in english. This is not the main problem, though.

My main problem is that the results are a bit confusing. I understand that the results are representing the cuts and fills needed to form the plateau. What does it mean if both of these figures are negative? I mean that i get both negative cut volumes and negative fill volumes.

The total is positive, but i really cannot interpret the situation, as the plateau in question is really just filling a bottom of a pit in my terrain. There is also a small area that does not need filling, so i modified the plateau outline there manually. (I'll try to attach some images) I would think that the plateau just needs filling, and no cuts at all.

As I said, The plateau is supposed to model a filling up to a certain height level. I think that for modeling purposes a basin object would do, but as I understand, i cannot get calculation data from a basin object. So I've derived the outline of the plateau as follows:

1. using contourlines object as aid, place a point in the mesh at a very close approximation of the final level.
2. place a basin object on the mesh, using the placed point as a reference. Result is a basin at the final level.
3. In plan view, I explode the basin object into lines-resulting the outline (or actually the contourline) of the final level plateau.
4. place a plateau object using this outline and set level into the final level. This results in a plateau with edges that accurately enough follow the terrain.

For testing purposes I tried to form a smaller plateau at the bottom of the pit, that does not follow the contourlines of surrounding terrain. The results seem more coherent, as there is no negative values. According to the object, there needs to be some cutting here too, which sounds a bit strange.

So after this lengthy description I have some questions.

Do the negative values sound normal?
Can you think of some special cases that the calculation does not return accurate values?
Is the procedure i described a sensible approach to what I'm trying to do? (Getting the volume for a fill up to a certain level in a pit) Should I do this in another way and if so, how then?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the smaller plateau that i used for testing.
SmallerPlateau.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
An update: The language problem was fixed by setting the language temporarily to something else than english and then setting it back to english.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Samppa wrote:
Hi,

Firstly I want to thank Fabrizio from Cigraph for his swift and helpful answer for my other question. It's great to know that the product is supported so well.

So, Fabrizio, I have another problem for you . I want to calculate the cuts and fills of a plateau object I have placed on my terrain. I follow the procedure described in the user manual like this.
1. I select the terrain mesh.
2. I press calculate in the arciterra toolbox to update data for calculation.

3. When i look for the "ArchiTerra 30" -component list in my project, i cannot find it. I have two other lists: "Base (Architerra_DB)" and "Default (ArchiTerra_DB)". So I decide to use these.

Now i run into troubles:

When I select the mesh and list components, the result is an empty list. I suppose this would be ok, because there is no property objects bound to the mesh itself, and I think that calculation needs to list the OBJECTS created by ArchiTerra.

When I try to list a single plateau, the result is an empty list.

When i try to list everything (I do this by selecting nothing in the plan view and double clicking on the Base(Architerra_DB)-list), the result is an error message. It's in finnish, but the contents of the message suggest that 3D_document detector.gsm -object has incompatable variable types in master script line 4.

I'm a novice in GDL-coding, but to me this seems to mean that the APPLICATION_QUERY in 3D_Document detector doesn't get a string type result in the variable "type".

I know this is very hard to debug without the actual file, but could someone suggest what is going on, and how could i fix things and produce calculation lists.

I would also like to note that my terrain is rather complex, and i've used several painter and building objects. Only one plateau, though.
year 2011; Archicad 13 & Architerra 3: but still i get your same problem