Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

preview on Windows Explorer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.
I've install Windows 7-64, and, after the installation of ArchiCAD 12, there are no previews of the objects in Windows Explorer. So I go to the folder Graphisoft Shell Extension and execute the 'register.bat', right?
But it doesn't work... what can I do now?
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that is what I am calling the file explorer. You used to have to install the windows browser plug in for those to work. I don't know if the one for VISTA will work or not. Maybe some other windows user knows. It seems like that will solve your problem if it does. I get no previews anywhere. Not for pln's or objects. Not even in the "open" dialog. The only ones that show in the library browser I the ones I've been replacing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Barry Kelly
I am having a similar problem to Tina's.
Not just with the library object icons in Windows Explorer but with the PLN icons as well.
I modify my PLN previews as per that attached imaged which is from the Archicad help file.
I find it useful to keep track of all the file versions with different icons so I can visually see which file was created in which version.

Now the thing is this was working perfectly fine until I installed version 13.
I now just get the default grey page icon for PLNs and the chair for GDL objects (The preview for object in the library browser in Archicad itself are fine).
One good thinh is at least the PLN and BPN icons are a little different now - they used to be the same.

What is worse is I could also hover my mouse over a file in Explorer and it would show a pop-up with the Achicad version it was last saved as.
This doesn't work anymore either - the pop-up shows but without the version info.
Now I have to actually open Achicad and go through the FILE > OPEN menu and select the file to see what version it was saved in.It is a real hassle if you want to keep working on a file in the original version it was created in.

It is not a problem with my system because nothing has been changed.
It obviously stems from the installing of Archicad 13.
File association is to version 13 as you would expect and I don't really want to re-associate them with version 12 (not sure if that would fix the problem anyway).
It has also happened on a second machine as well after installing 13.

Does anyone (Graphisoft?) have an idea of how to put hings back to the way they were?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
vistasp
Advisor
So this is not just a Win7 problem then... Would be interesting to hear the experiences of other users who have installed AC-13.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeffrey wrote
You used to have to install the windows browser plug in for those to work. I don't know if the one for VISTA will work or not.
What are you talking about? 'Register.bat'? Cause that I've tried and didn't work... if is something else.. please, tell me.

I was using Windows XP before, and everything was fine. And Barry is right, the pop up windows doesn't show the version of AC used, now, in Windows 7. I didn't have noticed that yet...
Barry Kelly
Cristina wrote:
Hi.
I've install Windows 7-64, and, after the installation of ArchiCAD 12, there are no previews of the objects in Windows Explorer. So I go to the folder Graphisoft Shell Extension and execute the 'register.bat', right?
But it doesn't work... what can I do now?
I just tried this and it worked - sort of.
I have my library icons back and I can see the version when I hover my mouse over a file name in Explorer.
How ever I don't have my PLN file icons back.
They are still the grey plan icon.
Maybe after a re-boot they might come back - can't do that right now as I have network licenses on my machine.

The "Register.bat" file can be found in the Archicad program folder.

I see that it says previews are NOT shown on XP 64 bit systems.
Maybe it is the same for Windows 7 64 bit.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
vistasp
Advisor
Register.bat in the AC-12 program folder merely registers GSShellX32.dll which (among other things) contains a bunch of icons different from the main exe file. My guess is there should be a GSShellX64.dll with AC-13 since it supports 64-bit.

Accordingly, I did a search for GSShellX64.dll and found just this one page. Assuming that it's something to do with 64-bit AC and not some totally unrelated software, it's interesting that it was reported from Australia as early as December last year.

I suppose GS could release a 64-bit version of this dll for x64 users.

Or maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree? 😉
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
Anonymous
Not applicable
vistasp, I look that page you signed and there 2 versions of the file; one is from European Union, a few days ago... but the file is being reviewed, so... we have to wait!
vistasp
Advisor
Hi Tina,

Prevx seems to be some kind of security software which runs a scan on your system and, if a particular process is not recognised, reviews it to see if it's benign or malicious.

In this case someone who ran the scanner had GSShellX64.dll on their system which may (or may not) be a graphisoft file. I don't think AC-12 came with GSShellX64.dll. AC-13 might, however, because it supports 64-bit windows. Since I haven't received my copy as yet, I can't check.

Again, most of this is conjecture...
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
Barry Kelly
Everything is good after a re-boot.
All icons and pop-up info is back to normal.
But I am just on 32 bit Windows XP.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, the problem appears to be in the 64 system...
Well, I'll wait for a solution... or return to my old 32 bit system!

Thank you all for the help.