Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

how to correctly show an XOX glider

jbArch
Newcomer
I am wondering if there is a way to modify the "W Glider3" window to reflect an actual XOX glider. The window I want is an 8' wide unit, so there would be two operable sashes at ether side, each 2' wide. These slide towards the center where there is a fixed 4' wide unit.

But the WGlider3 part makes each sash the same width.... there must be a toggle I am missing, right?

It's a butt-ugly window if you ask me, but I need it for a model of the existing house.

cheers,
JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would you please post a photo of the existing window to see what it looks like.

Thanks.
jbArch
Newcomer
No problem... sorry the window is behind a small tree but I think you'll get the idea.
xox slider.jpg
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
I could not find the Window in the Archicad 12 library you were talking about, so please check out the attached ZIP (with a GDL object of the window in it) to see if this is close to what you want.

You can make a custom window easily in Archicad. Make the window laying down using slabs with the middle/bottom of the window at 0,0,0 in the drawing (shown in next post). Select just the window components and show only them in 3D view. When these parts are selected and shown in 3D, then go to:

File (menu) -> Libraries and Objects -> Save 3D Model as... -> Save the filename -> select the "a Window" option in the "Save as Library Part" dialog box. You can now insert this as a window into your drawing. You may have to experiment a couple times with the process.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Post #2 with photo.
jbArch
Newcomer
Cool, thanks for all the effort!
What do you typically do to show window casings with this type of window? Just model it up separately?

JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you know GDL code you can model it with the window. I make custom windows that have everything in one GDL object. For example the attached photo is all one GDL object. It shows solder, rowlock, window, trim, glass & mullions.
WindowArched.jpg
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
You could do as described here(sashes only), but then change the SUBTYPE to Window Component. Then it will appear in the CUSTOM window menu of say a FIXED WINDOW... There you can use all the trims that are available to the standard Fixed window, but the Sash would appear as XOX.

It's really not that difficult; just sounds like it.

Hope this helps,
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Even though not written for me.
Thanks for the sub-type idea Duane
Even as a complete newbie to gdl, I think I can handle that one.
And as very minor unimportant sub note: I think jbArch meant to write OXO.
lec
jbArch
Newcomer
lec1212:
What you are saying makes sense to me (o = operable), but the window manufacturers seem to think it is the other way around (o = stationary, x=operating). Or at least Marvin and Milgard treat it that way.

BTW, I like your protest drafting arm.

-JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA