Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

polyline question

ICEdevil
Newcomer
is there any way to delete points in a polyline?

i have some polylines imported from archicad, and they are made of hundreds of small line segments that define a curve for example...is there any way to approximate a curved line out of these?
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2 GB DDR, Nvidia geforce 6600GT, Win XP SP2
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Trace over it with a spline choosing every 10th or 20th node or whatever is necessary to get the curve to match.
You can edit (add or subtract) nodes to alter the spline if needed once you have placed it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ICEdevil
Newcomer
yeah...i started to do this with a polyline over the old one, to approximate the curves but it will take forever

magic wand doesn't help because it doesn't know how to "approximate"....so...i think the "manual" method is the only one...
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
One way to do it (still manual) is to explode the polyline into line segments, which will be grouped if auto grouping is on. Select the grouped lines and assign arrowheads to both ends (use circle "arrowhead") so you can see where the end of each segment is. You can then trace over picking as many or as few end points as you like.

HTH
Barry Kelly
I would create a spline first with three points - start of polyline, middle of polyline and end of polyline.
Then I would stat to add nodes to the spline (pet palette) so that it begins to match the curve of the polyline.
This way you just add as many nodes as you need.
More in the tight curvey sections and less along the straighter sections.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dwight
Newcomer
Magic wand a polyline using the linear segments with segment length method.

Selecting the appropriate segment length controls the accuracy of the magic wand overtrace.

EDIT: OOPS: missed a step:

Magic wand a spline to the polyline, delete the original polyline THEN magic wand a new polyline with tolerances as above.
after before before after.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
ICEdevil
Newcomer
Dwight wrote:
Magic wand a polyline using the linear segments with segment length method.

Selecting the appropriate segment length controls the accuracy of the magic wand overtrace.

EDIT: OOPS: missed a step:

Magic wand a spline to the polyline, delete the original polyline THEN magic wand a new polyline with tolerances as above.
Amin to that
thank you
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3