Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

modeling a building with many mezzanine levels

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good afternoon everyone,

I am trying to do as-builts of a hillside residence where the first floor jogs up in many different levels, so parts of it are at 0', 2-6, 5-0 and 6-8. I first set up a pile of different story settings for this but in respect to documentation it seems one would need a floorplan that shows all these non-overlapping floors in one drawing.
Whats the best practice to achieve this? So far I have thought of two approaches - modeling as above and then layer several views on top of each other in the layouts. this still makes modeling unpractical, although virtual trace and having walls set to show on all relevant stories does help.
Alternatively I copied them all into one story, but there was no floor plan cut plan that would make it through all the important information - if there would be an option for an offset floor plan cut plane, like an offset section, that would solve it.
Am I missing something completely here or is the first approach the only viable option?

thank you
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
With the single storey method you can use a single FPCP and set the walls to Symbolic Cut, but there may well be other items that will not display as you want.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
s2art wrote:
With the single storey method you can use a single FPCP and set the walls to Symbolic Cut, but there may well be other items that will not display as you want.
What other items are you thinking of? I would contend using SYMBOLIC CUT and producing a single floor plan the way to go... Only where a floor is ON TOP OF another, should you go to another story. With the maximum Flr to Flr described here at 6'-8", there should be NO floor on top of another.

You will want to see all the spaces in direct relation to each other on one plan, I am guessing.

My 2 cents...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks, got it now. I had something wrong with the floor plane cut plane which prevented the windows on the higher levels to be shown.
I agree with new story only if its on top of another one for readability.
thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Florian wrote:"if there would be an option for an offset floor plan cut plane, like an offset section, that would solve it."
That's been wished for many times to no avail, unfortunately.

Don't think this is what you want in your particular situation, but you could
make a saved view of each level with it's own FPCP height for other types of uses.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
s2art wrote:
What other items are you thinking of? ...
Was thinking slabs, beams, roofs etc. All should be controllable though. Depends how far apart the split levels are and individual item's display settings. Definitely the best way to go.

2000, yay me.