BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

BUG? 3D window larger than physical screen size crashes AC13

Chazz
Enthusiast
Try this experiment:

In the 3D Window Settings, increase the size of the 3D window so that it is just a little bigger in one or both dimensions than your monitor and try to project something simple (a wall or something)

See if you get this dreaded error:

Your computer does not have enough memory to perform the operation

Happens for us 100% of the time.

This is a killer for us because we do a lot of interior flat shades (internal engine, via fly through --the Open GL engine is just too buggy with things behind walls showing through, etc). We need BIG flat shades (typically 3840x2400) so that when they are reduced in the layouts they look nice and sharp.

Anyone else?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Must be a Mac thing?
Mine just un-maximises the 3D window but does display it at it's larger size.
i.e. it doesn't fit on the screen.

It also gets a black stripe down the side that changes as you drag the 3D window around.
Seems to correspond to how far the 3D window is extending past the left side of the screen.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Does not happen on my Mac. I tried a little bigger, and then way bigger - 2500 x 2000. No problem. Saved an image fine. So, I must have misunderstood.

K
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chazz
Enthusiast
Thanks for your time folks. It may be my video card. Or maybe I'm just a bad person (but would ArchiCAD know?). I have two monitors driven by a single card but Karl probably does too so it shouldn't be that.

Gawd, these issues are so vexing......
Thomas Holm
Booster
Chazz wrote:
Thanks for your time folks. It may be my video card. Or maybe I'm just a bad person (but would ArchiCAD know?)......
It just the new Negativity Detector, it's hidden in the OGMental engine. Mac only. You'll have to remove your signature (or post from a Windoze machine) to get rid of it.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
Chazz wrote:
Thanks for your time folks. It may be my video card. Or maybe I'm just a bad person (but would ArchiCAD know?). I have two monitors driven by a single card but Karl probably does too so it shouldn't be that.
Hey Chazz,

Yup, I have two 19" monitors - attached to the base ATI Radeon HD 2600 (256 MB) card that came with the Early 2008 Mac Pros. (The card seems absolutely low end compared to what is out there now - but works fine.)

I'm on Xeon processors and you're on the newer Mac Pro with Nehalem. I'm wondering if that might be related to the problem and if someone else with a Nehalem machine might try to reproduce this. When the Nehalem Mac Pros arrived, Artlantis people were crashing due to something about the hyperthreading - then Abvent introduced a patch. Maybe something weird is happening related to that here, since the 3D window generation does use multiple threads...

But if it happen on all of your computers, even your MacBook, then the Nehalem guess/punt is way off base and maybe it is something to do with your palette layouts and/or other WE things. Try with the standard WE and see what happens if that is the case. (I have found several bugs that were related to having certain palettes open, and certain palettes on the secondary monitor over the last couple of years. Switching to a standard WE on a single monitor helped isolate those issues.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chazz
Enthusiast
Thanks Karl, Sage words. I wondered about the Nehalem thing too. Additionally I have the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (512MB) which is kind of rare. I will try to test on the MBP. If anyone out there can do my simple test with a Nehalem machine I would really appreciate it. If you have a radeon HD 4870 to boot I would really really appreciate some test love.

I have got to say that on this machine and with my projects (100-180 MB) AC 13 has been very unstable (20 crashes per week as I slowly learn what is allowed and what is pointless to even attempt). It's really frustrating and if I could reliably back-save the projects to 12, we would shelve 13 in a heartbeat.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Chazz:

I have a 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (I think this is Nehalem, there is nothing in System Profiler that uses that name, but I got it in May of this year) with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 VRAM graphic card driving an Apple 22" Cinema Display set to 1600x1024 pixels (max resolution). I generated a 3D Window at 2000x1580 pixels with no problem in ArchiCAD 13.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!